Questions about DCC and "Digi-Trax"

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Questions about DCC and "Digi-Trax"

Unread post by Racer »

I wanted to know how exactly DCC and this system called "Digi-Trax" (I think) works. Does it mean I can have power on the whole layout without special wiring and is it hard to install?
Last edited by Racer on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Digitrax is just one brand of a group of products of "Digital Command Control" that easily allows you to run more than one locomotive in a single block of track. If you were using conventional DC power applied to a section of track, ALL locomotives on that section of track would see the same voltage and would move at the same time. With DCC, you have a "decoder" in each locomotive, and each locomotive will only respond to control signals designated for it. That way you can have two (or more) locomotives on a common section of track and still control them independently.

I liken Digitrax to the behemoth Windows and eschew both. I do get to use Digitrax with my modular RR club, but I don't like it. I use EasyDCC on my home layout, and it's way easier to use than Digitrax. More people buy Digitrax, though, because Digitrax is sold in lots of hobby shops and online stores while EasyDCC is only available from CVP Products directly.

Of course the entire issue of "which DCC system is best" has been the cause of Holy wars online, so I won't go there!

Theoretically, it's easy to connect your DCC control system to your layout through only two wires, the same as a basic DC (direct current) system. However, DCC is more sensitive to dirty track, loose rail joiners, etc, so I solder feeder wires to *every* piece of track on my layout. (I don't solder rail joiners because it makes it too hard to move tracks around if I so choose.) But you don't need any selector switches to determine which cab controls what section of track.

DCC decoders in locos can pretty much be used on any DCC system, regardless of brand. However, throttles can usually only be used on the particular brand of system they were made for.

Check out online DCC sites such as http://www.wiringfordcc.com/wirefordcc_toc.htm and http://www.dccwiki.com/Track_wiring (and lots of others you can search for). It's actually easier to do DCC than it is to read about it!

Garry K

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Digitrax is a brand of DCC and yes it is good. Wiring for DCC is not as difficult as it seems. Here's a link to some good info if you're new to DCC...
http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/dc ... /index.htm
Tony's Train Exchange is very well known around the model railroading circles when it comes to all things DCC.

MUTLINERR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MUTLINERR »

DCC is money well spent no matter how small your layout is. I use Digitrax and after having used most of the others, it is the system I prefer. YES, it was a pain to figure out originally! Digitrax's instuctions are not very user friendly, but once you know them everything you need to know is there. When I went DCC, I didn't know anyonelse with it or using it so I was all alone to figure it out. That was in "96" now there is all kinds of help and knowledge readily available, just ask. Join the Digitrax forum, time well spent. The ZEPHYR is a great starting system with the bonus feature that you can add 2 MRC typr power packs to it for additional throttles. A very reasonable way to start that can be expanded with everything Digitrax makes today.

Controls and wiring for DCC is much easier than DC wiring, but there are things to do and whatch out for. I will not go into them now unless you ask, but do not fear them, they are easy.

Friday nights have been slot car racing nights at our house. Last Friday 2 guys that do not know or run trains were asking questions. I ended up putting some steam engines on the track for them to run. They ended up with 6 steam engines including a Shay and one running in reversed. None of the engines were MU'd, they were running them an inch apart and all lashed together. They couldn'd believe what they could do or how easy they were able to do it. Try that with DC.

Chris, contact me off the site for more information or hands on train running.

Bill www.RUSTYSPIKES.com

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Meh! Seems too complicated for my layout; I'm just going to use the traditional transformer because the layout isn't a "Club-style" size. BUT, if you buy the latest locomotives that have the DCC stuff in them, will they still run on a conventional transformer or only if you have a DCC system?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Meh! Seems too complicated for my layout; I'm just going to use the traditional transformer because the layout isn't a "Club-style" size. BUT, if you buy the latest locomotives that have the DCC stuff in them, will they still run on a conventional transformer or only if you have a DCC system?
Holy crap Chris. Wiring for conventional DC is WAY harder than wiring for DCC. Wiring for DCC is like wiring your layout in one big block. With DCC you could run the whole layout off one set of feeders if you wanted too. Heck, my 4x8 with a 2x8 extension is only run off three. With DCC you can key up any engine and run it independly from others on the same track, or MU them with others. Best money I ever spent was on my Digitrax Zephyr system, which can be had for under $150. If it really seems that hard (it's not, trust me, I'm a guy with 0 electrical intellect) pick up the book "Mastering The Digitrax Zephyr" for $10. It explains everything in a very easy to understand way.

And yes, engines that are "DCC ready" or "DCC decoder equipped" will still run on conventional DC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I understand and thank you for the advice Jon, but I'm using the EZ Track system where you just plug into the socket on the track and it's ready to go. My layout I'm starting next month you really can't run more than one train at a time on the main-line, but there will be a Transformer on each end of the layout: One wired infront Escanaba and one infront of Sault Ste. Marie where at Trout Lake; you have the self-insulated switches cut off a train from Sault Ste. Marie on the siding and allow you to switch and run out of Escanaba and do a meet in Trout Lake with-out getting power on both tracks. I just think for what it is; DCC isn't neccessary. Only reason for the two tranformers on each end is just to do switching on one end and running out of the other end and set meets in Trout Lake (The half way point on the layout).

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:I understand and thank you for the advice Jon, but I'm using the EZ Track system where you just plug into the socket on the track and it's ready to go. My layout I'm starting next month you really can't run more than one train at a time on the main-line, but there will be a Transformer on each end of the layout: One wired infront Escanaba and one infront of Sault Ste. Marie where at Trout Lake; you have the self-insulated switches cut off a train from Sault Ste. Marie on the siding and allow you to switch and run out of Escanaba and do a meet in Trout Lake with-out getting power on both tracks. I just think for what it is; DCC isn't neccessary. Only reason for the two tranformers on each end is just to do switching on one end and running out of the other end and set meets in Trout Lake (The half way point on the layout).
Exactly. I used EZ track for a time with my Zephyr. The ends that you screw onto the power pack plug into the Zephyr just as easily. Do what you want, but DCC is well worth the investment.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike »

The Digitrax Zypher or the NCE ProCab starter sets are not that expensive and you only need a set of feeders and your all SET to run what ever Loco you dial up. I have a shelf layout in my Apartment that is in a 10x10 room and is only on three of the walls the good thing is the DCC system what ever one you chose can grow with your layout. It is much much easer to get up and running vs. DC with blocks all over the place....

Also If you know someone that has DCC installed see if they will tell you there likes/dislikes about the system and get your hands on it and. If you know someone with a different brand check that one out before you make a decision on what band your going to go with....

Zypher = $149.99
NCE Power Cab = $140.56

Looking for DCC stuff at a good price and from a model railroader that knows DCC?

Check out:
http://www.sbmrailroadsupplies.com
Michael Kisser
RailStream, LLC.
http://www.railstream.biz

MUTLINERR
Railroadfan...fan

Good post Mike. One thing though, does the NCE sytem run a DC loco? I know there is one system out there that doesn't run DC, I'm just not sure which one. I know that Digitrax does, because we do it often.

Chris the advice of trying the different systems while talking with the people that use and maintain is some of the best advice to come along. See how you like the different throttles, setups and how they do what they do. Personally we are Digitrax and I love it, but remember this is my opinion. Yes there are quirks, but overall I feel it is the best system out there.

Chris once you run with DCC and you see how easy and enjoyable it truly is, you will go DCC. My offer ealier in this post stands. If you want to see first hand, ask questions and explore Digitrax DCC contact me off post. You can email me off my website.

Bill
www.RUSTYSPIKES.com

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

really with DCC your railroad will run like a real railroad, MU locos, more sounds, heck of alot easy to wire, and it's only about 20 buck for a 123 decoder, and most new locos already have a drop in decoder built in. That pretty universal. Wyes or loops are a heck of alot easy to control plus the fact yard work is a heck of alot funner with DCC

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

What's the cheapest DCC system I can buy? If I don't buy DCC immediatly, is it easy to to convert my standard DC to DCC on my layout later on?

MUTLINERR
Railroadfan...fan

Chris, I feel that the best start for DCC is the Digitrax Zypher. I know that I have stated this before in this post, but I feel it is well worth repeating. The Zypher is compatable and expandable with the complete Digitrax system. Plus you can add 2 regular power packs to it for 3 cabs. There also are instructions for making walk-around throttles for it, I'mn guessing but I would say for about $20.00 or so each.

Yes, it is very easy to convert from DC to DCC. Basically you just replace a DC power pack with the DCC system. Espeacially if you pay attention to your wiring when you are building you layout. It is easier than wiring for DC!

I recomend: http://www.sbmrailroadsupplies.com He has the best prices and he does a lot for our rail community, both railfanning and modeling! If he doesn't have what you are looking for, ASK! He is adding new products everyday and he will be our major suppler.

Once you have your layout drawing done, I will gladly advise you on wiring it for DCC and DC.

Bill

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I do want DCC, but I need to get everything from the start and I saw somewhere it was like 400 bucks! That's almost how much it's going to cost for all the track. I want to start out with getting some rollingstock (I only have a CSX GP38-2 and CP SD40-2 in my entire HO collection that is actually good, but the CSX GP38-2 needs couplers replaced, front handrails replaced, and is missing a drive shaft. Even though I have the money to do all this, my parents don't want me spending all of it in one shot! :(

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

Purchasing just the Zephyr set shouldn't be $400. DCC gets expensive when you start to factor in all of the decoders and purchasing new locomotives with decoders already installed.

If you have just two locomotives that need decoders installed, the decoders themselves shouldn't cost you too much. I personally could never get any of my older locomotives installed with decoders to run very well (or at all), so I wound up having to buy new engines that were DCC ready or already came with the decoder. Like I said before, this is where it starts to get expensive in my opinion.

If you need help with installation of the decoders in your exisitng fleet, I would talk to your local hobby shop. They might be able to show you or even may install them for you for a small fee.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

I paid 200 for my Zephyr 2 years ago, and there's a saying that I go by, you get what you pay for. Its not anyfun railroading when your always having to clean wheels, fix bad wires, ect. DCC is the way to go really. Im guessing you have Bachman locos if your using easy track? Most new Bachman locos have DCC onboard, and if not drop in decoders are very cheap. Do the research like everyone is saying, to wire a DCC layout is SOOO easy, it will make your railroad fun to run.