Electrical Current Question

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Electrical Current Question

Unread post by Racer »

On my layout: I have a yard. On the lead I want a wye going onto the main line going both directions (One going East onto the Mainline and one going West on the mainline, seince N scale has two rail and the current is positive on one rail and negative on the other, would that cause a short circuit? Also I wanted a T-junction with a wye connecting in both ways, too but I'm afraid of a short curcuit. I'd like to note these switches are self insulated and only give power to the track it is set to. So am I going to have problems or will the switches' insulation work? -Chris

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Yes you will have a short circuit problem. When setting up a wye arrangment like you describe it creates a revesing section of track whict allows positive to meet negative creating a short. The best thing to do is to pick a leg of the wye and insulate both rails to both tracks running to that leg. This becomes your reversing section and must have a seperate reversing switch independent of the layout reversing switch. In any situation where there is a reversing section there must be insulation in both rails. Hope this helps a little.

For more helpful information go to www.atlasrr.com and I am sure there is a guide on there on how to do your wiring. They use what they call a common rail system. I have the complete atlas wiring book and it is very helpful. You can also pick this up at any hobby shop and it should answer any questions you might have in regards to electrical wiring.

Also feel free to PM me with any questions on electrical wiring. I just graduated college with an electronics degree and I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Good luck modeling! :D
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Thanks alot Justin, that's exactly the detailed help I need! Thanks again! :D -Chris

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

there are also automatic switching devices to do this function. Notably in DCC installations I know that MRC at one time made one and you can set up a Digitraxx booster station to do the same thing but the second option gets pricey, Try looking arround www.Walthers.com
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"