walthers GP35's

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

walthers GP35's

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Does anyone else think that the fuel tanks on the new walthers GP35's are incorrect? I sold a pretty nice MTH GP35 with sound in anticipation of these. Didn't like MTH sound, and I figured I could MU a walthers unit with my walthers GP30 better. But I'm pretty sure most GP35's had a low profile tank not represented on the new walthers unit. I was also disappointed that the model railroader review of these locomotives didn't mention this. Maybe I'm wrong but they sure don't look right to me...
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

rteusink
Railroadfan...fan

Re: walthers GP35's

Unread post by rteusink »

I'm not quite sure what you think qualifies as a 'low profile tank' but the fuel tank on the WalthersProto GP35 Ph II will not match your GP30.

Phase I GP35's had fuel tanks with the same profile as a GP30.

Phase II GP35's (which the WalthersProto is) has a different fuel tank profile that is closer to a GP38/40 series locomotive.

The revised fuel tank profile is one of the key features of the Phase II unit, along with the thinner sill/walkway.

If you're looking for Phase I GP35's, your best best is still the Kato unit.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: walthers GP35's

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Good to know. I'll have to look more closely at the different phases for the GP35. I thought they all had the tank matching the GP30. Thanks for the info
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan