Track plan

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Track plan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Looks like you have a nice large space for your layout! Is your last above post still your functioning plan?

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Rustbelt,

This is the latest tweek of the track plan. The room is 13x22. Looks like yours is coming along nicely. Mine hasn't progressed passed paper.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Still havn't started construction but here is another tweek to the track plan:

Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

railroads2000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroads2000 »

There were two Ford plants located along the former C&O, the one at Sheldon Road, received Center Flow Hoppers and 86' Hi Cubed Boxcars. Just up the road east was the Livonia Transmission Plant, they received 50'-60' Boxcars and Tank Cars. As a side note, some of the parts shipped from Sheldon Road I believe made there way to the Ford Plant in Connersville, Indiana. Ford had a fleet of road trucks (Ford Aeromax Tractors) that shuttled back and forth from Connersville and Sheldon Rd. I am a truck driver and I've been to the transmission plant as well as the Sheldon Rd. plant; and I was to a warehouse just up the road from the Connersville plant, that received inbound empty racks that were shuttled to the plant by Ford. Also, there was a small, I believe a 5 track yard just outside of the Transmission plant, along with another yard to the west between I-275 and Haggerty Rd. The C&O had north and south sidings were the locals could service the industries without fouling the mains.

James Barnes, Jr.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

railroads2000,

Thanks for the info! I'm always interested in this type of information from the plymouth area and espesially from the late 80's early 90's
Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC there was a Ford Warehouse on the Detroit Sub perhaps around Middlebelt or Merriman
railroads2000 wrote:There were two Ford plants located along the former C&O, the one at Sheldon Road, received Center Flow Hoppers and 86' Hi Cubed Boxcars. Just up the road east was the Livonia Transmission Plant, they received 50'-60' Boxcars and Tank Cars. As a side note, some of the parts shipped from Sheldon Road I believe made there way to the Ford Plant in Connersville, Indiana. Ford had a fleet of road trucks (Ford Aeromax Tractors) that shuttled back and forth from Connersville and Sheldon Rd. I am a truck driver and I've been to the transmission plant as well as the Sheldon Rd. plant; and I was to a warehouse just up the road from the Connersville plant, that received inbound empty racks that were shuttled to the plant by Ford. Also, there was a small, I believe a 5 track yard just outside of the Transmission plant, along with another yard to the west between I-275 and Haggerty Rd. The C&O had north and south sidings were the locals could service the industries without fouling the mains.

James Barnes, Jr.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

After being in the house for a few years FINALLY got started on the layout. thought I would post an update. Just a little progress on the benchwork. Using a combination of shelf brackets and legs to support the benchwork.

foam board glued down
Image[/url]
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sandpatch1 »

I worked at Sheldon road in 1999, we shipped rail to Louisville plant for F250 and to Birmingham plant by rail it was about 10 loads a day. The radiators went by truck to focus and mustang plants. never did hear what happened to the plant,but we were always in competition with the Connersville plant, and Toledo injection mold. just one day in about 2006? saw a auction for injection mold machines and was shocked when I saw the address, went by and all the visteon signage was gone.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Do you recall what the inbound plastic pellet traffic was?
sandpatch1 wrote:I worked at Sheldon road in 1999, we shipped rail to Louisville plant for F250 and to Birmingham plant by rail it was about 10 loads a day. The radiators went by truck to focus and mustang plants. never did hear what happened to the plant,but we were always in competition with the Connersville plant, and Toledo injection mold. just one day in about 2006? saw a auction for injection mold machines and was shocked when I saw the address, went by and all the visteon signage was gone.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

I remember the tracks always full about 2 cars at the unloading rack, and 5 or more on the siding. Now you made me curious also as with the number of molds we must have went thru more than two cars a day, We didn’t have a trackmobile, but maybe they had another unloading rack out of site, it was all air moved to the plant and stored in silos, I will try to find out, but who to ask,

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Track plan, Sheldon road

talked with a old friend. he said they got 2 switch's, pulled about 5 cars each shift.
but on the plastic cars maybe 1 or 2 a week,, seemed like we used a lot more than 100 tons in a week, but he was sure about it,
maybe a respot on plastic cars but not like i thought 5 a week,,

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Track plan, Sheldon road

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you sandpatch. A little plastic goes a long way :) .
sandpatch1 wrote:talked with a old friend. he said they got 2 switch's, pulled about 5 cars each shift.
but on the plastic cars maybe 1 or 2 a week,, seemed like we used a lot more than 100 tons in a week, but he was sure about it,
maybe a respot on plastic cars but not like i thought 5 a week,,

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

KVERBERK wrote:After being in the house for a few years FINALLY got started on the layout. thought I would post an update. Just a little progress on the benchwork. Using a combination of shelf brackets and legs to support the benchwork.

foam board glued down
Image[/url]
KVERBERK,
After having a self layout in my basement for 30 years, I finally tore it out and am now finishing the basement walls, studs and insulation then drywall. Wonder how much I would of save on heat bill past 30 years. PLEASE think about doing this before you continue to build too much. In the long run it will more then pay for itself and you'll have a better layout room. I am trying to decide what to model next, Penn Central or a modern shortline. My have to do two layouts........
Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the advice KC. I miss railfanning the GLC, you should do a modern shortline based on them.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Model railroad season is upon us. Here is a little update. Not much progress from last winter but its coming along. Hope to start laying track soon.

Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Benchwork too pretty to cover up under track and scenery

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I agree 8) . That's some nice bench work.
DaveO wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:41 pm
Benchwork too pretty to cover up under track and scenery

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Ha Thanks!
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Derektrainman03
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Derektrainman03 »

KVERBERK wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am
Yep, this was something I had originally wanted to include in the operation. I still may do that, good excuse to buy some more locos!
Nice shot!

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks! snapshot my dad took in the late 80's.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan