Lucas's Cheap Builds, Vol 2: GP9RM

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Lucas's Cheap Builds, Vol 2: GP9RM

Unread post by ogauge47 »

Hey all! Here is the next of my cheap O scale builds. (I dropped the one-night requirement because I don't want to hate myself)
Next up is a kit bash of (roughly) a CN GP9RM. I didn't intend for it to be a CN until I realized all the things I was modifying were in line with what CN did. It won't be an exact model.

The base model is a wrecked Red Caboose GP9. It spray painted poorly and had a crack on the short hood. I chopped the nose, filled the old number board holes and patched up the various holes in the shell. Being a cheap project I just lightly sanded the shell and primed and painted directly over the old crap paint. New front cab windows were fabricated, dynamic brake fan was removed and plated over and new grabs and lift rings were installed. The long hood also routed a winterization hatch, horn and brake wheel assembly replacing the ratchet-style one. The cab number board housing was stolen off of an MTH GP20 and a scratch built all-weather cab window was installed. I later found out I screwed up on placement, interestingly enough although these got chop noses CN never changed the control stand placement so these units still were technically long hood forward operation so the all-weather window should be on the other side of the locomotive. Oops. The old Red Caboose frame was destroyed so I found a new one lying around. Steps and MU hoses were added and railings and coupler cur bars were fabricated out of brass.

Prototype pics

Thats where I am so far

More to come

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Lucas's Cheap Builds, Vol 2: GP9RM

Unread post by AARR »

So far so good :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Looks really good, a little different than the GTW 4600 series GP9's we see still working around here I think.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Correct, the CN GP9r's look different than the GTW's. I'll post a picture later unless someone lese beats me to it.
bctrainfan wrote:Looks really good, a little different than the GTW 4600 series GP9's we see still working around here I think.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...