Lucas's Cheap One-Night Builds, Vol 1: 50' Boxcar

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Lucas's Cheap One-Night Builds, Vol 1: 50' Boxcar

Unread post by ogauge47 »

Figured it would be cool to document some of my late-night modeling projects, mostly fueled by boredom, mild insomnia (byproduct of being a college music major), and a desire to make use of the piles of crap under my workbench. I am going to try to keep these all 1-2 day projects not including paint and with parts I have on hand (read: CHEAP)

First up is a Lionel double door boxcar modernized for the 70's: lowered ladders, no roof walk, end doors plated over, cushioned draft gear (simulated) and roller bearing trucks. The nice frame which originally came with the car disappeared in the time between the cars dismantling about 5 years ago and when I pulled the shell from one of my many boxes of junk this past evening. I ended up using a stamped sheet metal frame from an MTH car and a Pecos River fish belly with assorted details. I couldn't tell you where the various detail parts came from. I'm surprised I found so many matching pairs of things to use

Still deciding on a paint job

A-end

B-end

Bottom. Check out those stripped screw heads!

More to come!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Lucas's Cheap One-Night Builds, Vol 1: 50' Boxcar

Unread post by AARR »

That doesn't look like Lionel to me. You did a nice job modifying it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Nice to see another 1:48 modeler here.

Boxcar looks good!
Patrick Welch

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

Thanks!

Scrounged my collection (accumulation?) of spray paint and found a nice navy blue for the car. The roof was sprayed silver to represent a galvanized steel roof and the blue was tastefully oversprayed as many cars were. I'm considering painting the main door on each side either white of silver. Who knows. On to the next car...

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I forgot to mention that you right side ladder is upside down. Looks good tho! Keep the posts coming

Patrick
Patrick Welch