CSX/Conrail in Lansing

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX/Conrail in Lansing

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I have several on here on my Facebook group for my layout, but for those who are not on Facebook, I wanted to show off a little of my work in progress layout. My main focus is CSX but I also am going to include Conrails GM Ops. Itll expand as I build modules

From the Grand River Ave Crossing showing CP North Lansing. To the left is the industrial track. This will be hidden behind a scaled down Demmer Plant and will be switched by Conrail YDLA. The Old US27/Cedar St bridge is seen in the background

Looking down Turner St, Biochot Cement and the tank car industry that is on the east end of Ensel. Not sure what it was called in my era. The switch for the Old Town spur is in the foreground. I may include it later as a fold down extension.

Heart Truss diamond and the east end of Ensel. Conrail is the outer line, which also will double as a passing siding for CSX. Need to get some more switches to finish the west end.

Going around, this will be Padnos Iron and Metal, including the former DTI boxcar that was turned into a scrappers toolshed

Saginaw yard and General Motors BOC Plant #3

The South end of Saginaw yard. I have one more module to build for this which will be Saginaw Highway and the Fisher Body Verlinden plant

I'm hoping to include an interior for BOC #3. Three shuttle cars are shown
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CSX/Conrail in Lansing

Unread post by AARR »

Looking good, GTF.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Very nice. Looking at North Lansing, I can see where you have compressed things, but it feels right. :)

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Dan Cluley wrote:Very nice. Looking at North Lansing, I can see where you have compressed things, but it feels right. :)
Thanks! I'm glad I got the feeling down. I hated to do it but I wanted to include so much. I'm recycling benchwork from an old project so I'm adapting my plan to work in my space
Nick

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Looks great! What year are you modeling?

I like the realistic size of the buildings and the overpass, helps put the trains in scale so they're not totally dominating the landscape.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Ben Higdon wrote:Looks great! What year are you modeling?

I like the realistic size of the buildings and the overpass, helps put the trains in scale so they're not totally dominating the landscape.
Thanks! I'm modeling Early 90s up until the Conrail split
Nick

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Looks good....Nice to see Conrail still alive in Lansing, even it's in 1/87 scale. If this is in the 90's then you can't call it "Fisher Body", that name was gone by then :mrgreen: By then it was "Lansing Car Assembly - Body Plant" and what, no Lansing Craft Centre? :mrgreen:

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

conrailmike wrote:Looks good....Nice to see Conrail still alive in Lansing, even it's in 1/87 scale. If this is in the 90's then you can't call it "Fisher Body", that name was gone by then :mrgreen: By then it was "Lansing Car Assembly - Body Plant" and what, no Lansing Craft Centre? :mrgreen:
I'm used to still calling it Fisher when talking about my layout. Everyone knows what it is! :lol: Ill have a small chunk of the Craft Centre when I include the body plant. From my understanding the Craft Centre didn't get rail service so I wasn't planning on including much.
Nick

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail crews referred to the GM plant in Kalamazoo as Fisher through the 90s. Pretty sure that's even what they handwrote on the switch lists when switching out inbounds in the yard.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Which end of the line were the customers between Lansing and Jackson served from at this time? WDLA or WDJA?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

The local came out of Lansing. YDLA3 is the symbol that I recall. By the '80s the only business between Mason & Jackson, was the elevator at Leslie, and they didn't do much. I think there was still a siding for the fertilizer place at Eden, but I don't ever remember seeing any cars there.