Incorrectly Labeled Merchandise

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Incorrectly Labeled Merchandise

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Has anyone ever had the luck of buying something that a hobby shop has incorrectly priced because they didn't bother to examine the item in the box? I bought a Bachmann NYC Doodlebug today that was in the incorrect box with minor shelf wear and appeared to have never been ran. The box didn't advertise it but the Doodlebug clearly had DCC on board. I know its a Bachmann but I bought it right then and there for under $50 and found it runs perfectly! Wish I was this lucky more often, you don't ever buy a DCC equipped locomotive in this condition for that kind of money.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Incorrectly Labeled Merchandise

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

I've had a couple of times that I've bought used locomotives at train shows and gotten them home to find they had decoders or receivers installed in them that I hadn't expected. The ancient DigiPac (a long-gone commercial CTC-16 system) receiver in one of them wasn't much use, so I replaced it immediately.
-Fritz Milhaupt

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I bought a couple of valve shims for my Honda scooter for 5.00, and they sent me an entire $80 shim kit with all the assorted shims a tech would ever need. Never heard anything more, and no one asked me to return it, or sent me a bill.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

We bought a very large air compressor for the shop at the farm once to replace the old one that we had been using for decades. It came with a condensate air dryer that we didn't order or need or pay for. We sold the air dryer for more than we paid for the air compressor. A few weeks later we got an envelope from the retailer. We thought oh boy here we go. They realized their mistake and want the air dryer back or paid for such. Nope, it was letter thanking us for purchasing the air compressor AND AIR DRYER ( that we didn't order or pay for) and asking us to remember them should we have any future air equipment needs. If only they knew their mistake.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Well, it must have worked. You remembered them. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

If you buy enough stuff (as I do for my business) you are bound to get more or less than you order, the wrong product, wrong color, size, etc. Why just a few weeks ago I picked up a carb kit that had all used parts and gaskets ever so nicely placed in the box. I just laughed, shook my head and called my supplier. With so many parts suppliers and warehouses downsized and understaffed, it's no wonder.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

A couple years back we got a mold set from a plating shop. The mold belonged to one of our competitors. We sent it back but not before we took a lot of pictures and measurements. For the record our molds are much more efficient then theirs.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:A couple years back we got a mold set from a plating shop. The mold belonged to one of our competitors. We sent it back but not before we took a lot of pictures and measurements. For the record our molds are much more efficient then theirs.
I bet someone got chewed out from that mistake!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:A couple years back we got a mold set from a plating shop. The mold belonged to one of our competitors. We sent it back but not before we took a lot of pictures and measurements. For the record our molds are much more efficient then theirs.
I bet someone got chewed out from that mistake!
Not if they didn't find out!! :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Oh you can be darn sure the plating company never told the other company where their lost package was.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"