Novi Train Show Dec. 12-13

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Novi Train Show Dec. 12-13

Unread post by Racer »

Next month on the weekend of December 12-13, the Great Train Expo is coming to Novi's Suburban Collection Showplace (Former Rock Financial Showplace).

I'm hoping this is going to be a better show than the terrible one this past winter. Does anyone know if any good layouts will be at this show or is it going to be another overpriced disappointment?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Novi Train Show Dec. 12-13

Unread post by Ypsi »

Won't be attending this year. 2 years ago it was pretty good. Last year it was a 100% waste of time. Less vendors, less layout content, and the prices sucked. Charged for parking, and the show itself was expensive to get into.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Racer wrote:Next month on the weekend of December 12-13, the Great Train Expo is coming to Novi's Suburban Collection Showplace (Former Rock Financial Showplace).

I'm hoping this is going to be a better show than the terrible one this past winter. Does anyone know if any good layouts will be at this show or is it going to be another overpriced disappointment?
I'd save your (admission and parking) money, and go to any of the club-sponsored shows. Those GATS-GTE "professional" shows are often disappointing IMO, save TrainFest in Milwaukee or the annual NMRA shows.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Ah, Trainfest.

I was all set to leave tomorrow to go to Trainfest, I'd been planning and saving my hobby money, but on my way home from work last night my car was rear-ended at speed by an inattentive driver on the way home from work. 'got shoved through the cable barrier on I-94. The cables may have ripped up my car, but if they hadn't been there, I'd've ended up as guest-of-honor in a multi-car head-on collision in the eastbound lanes.

I'm definitely looking forward to next year's National Train Show in Indianapolis. We're also planning to take the Operations Road Show layout there for the week of the Convention.
-Fritz Milhaupt

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Look forward to going and seeing if they can pull themselves together this year since I cannot go to the Lansing Show.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

fmilhaupt wrote:got shoved through the cable barrier on I-94. The cables may have ripped up my car, but if they hadn't been there, I'd've ended up as guest-of-honor in a multi-car head-on collision in the eastbound lanes.
Woah, that sucks. Glad you're ok.

Those barriers are awesome sauce. Kudos to MDOT for investing heavily in them. $5 per foot is a small price to pay.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

lansing mi train show sunday at the msu pavillion
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

dmitzel wrote:
Racer wrote:Next month on the weekend of December 12-13, the Great Train Expo is coming to Novi's Suburban Collection Showplace (Former Rock Financial Showplace).

I'd save your (admission and parking) money, and go to any of the club-sponsored shows. Those GATS-GTE "professional" shows are often disappointing IMO, save TrainFest in Milwaukee or the annual NMRA shows.
The monthly show in Wheaton, Illinois tended to be pretty good as well (haven't had the chance to go back for a couple years), which is put on by the same company.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

fmilhaupt wrote:Ah, Trainfest.

I was all set to leave tomorrow to go to Trainfest, I'd been planning and saving my hobby money, but on my way home from work last night my car was rear-ended at speed by an inattentive driver on the way home from work. 'got shoved through the cable barrier on I-94. The cables may have ripped up my car, but if they hadn't been there, I'd've ended up as guest-of-honor in a multi-car head-on collision in the eastbound lanes.
It was a good show (from a non-modeler's POV). Sorry to hear about why you couldn't make it, but thankfully you're still alive to tell us about it. Those cables may be ugly, but they are definitely doing what they intended. I'd just hate to hit them if I were on a motorcycle though.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

A friendly reminder that the show is this weekend.

Hope to be a good one this year!
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

This show is much better this year than last year. Some decent deals to be found and been very good turnout regarding sales. There are more display layouts this year including a massive HO scale modular layout.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the reminder, Racer. I see the entry fee is $9. How much was parking?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Racer. I see the entry fee is $9. How much was parking?
If you got the show's post card in the mail, I think if you can bring the card in to get a $2 discount. I don't remember what the parking fee was because I'm in the vendor parking area, but it can't be more than $5.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Ypsi wrote:Won't be attending this year. 2 years ago it was pretty good. Last year it was a 100% waste of time. Less vendors, less layout content, and the prices sucked. Charged for parking, and the show itself was expensive to get into.
It costs about $14 just to show up to the show. $5 to park and $9 to get in IIRC.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You are correct, Jochs. The displays were very nice. They could have used another six or more vendors. IMO not worth $14 to get in. But not a waste of time either as I enjoyed myself. $5-$8 for parking and ticket would be a better value for what they offered IMO.
Jochs wrote:It costs about $14 just to show up to the show. $5 to park and $9 to get in IIRC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I haven't been to a GATS since 2003, when I was in Florida for my grandmother's funeral.
Before she died, my family used to go to FL and spend Christmas with her, and I would head over to Tampa to see the RBBX Circus Train, and go the GATS, which was held at the fairgrounds in Tampa. Back then it was $5 to park and ?? to get in. I don't think it was $9 back then. I don't remember what I paid because it was so long ago.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1