HO Scale Distance Between Rail Centers

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

HO Scale Distance Between Rail Centers

Unread post by AARR »

Does anyone have any experience operating modern 90' rail cars on HO scale track? What do you recommend as the minimum distance between rail centers on curved track? Does the distance make a difference if the curves are 24" vs. 30"?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: HO Scale Distance Between Rail Centers

Unread post by hoborich »

Well, there would be less overhang on 30 inch radius curves. And 90 ft cars don't like number 4 turnouts and switches. I try to avoid any 90 ft cars, but I have several auto racks which usually remain in the yard to be seen. And 90 ft cars don't look right on most model railroads, unless it's a club layout with wide curves. But the actual track centers depend on several variables. If you have track centers wide enough for the 90 ft cars, they will look too far apart. Or you could just make sure not to have any opposing trains on the adjacent track when running 90 ft cars.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for responding, hoborich.

When no one responded to my question I did some investigating and came up with this:
- Straight tracks are on 2" centers
- Mainline curves are on 2-1/2" centers
- Branchline curve is on 2" centers
- #6 turnouts for mainline and branchline passing sidings
- #5 turnouts for industrial turnouts

Trains with the 86'-90' cars will have to go through the turnouts slowly but that's ok with me as it adds to the realism of the operation 8)

My room is approximately 12'x12' so the number of long freight cars will be minimal and hopefully will not be an operational nightmare.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Yep. Nothing wrong with slow orders for realism.

Not a very good picture, but it's all I have right now.

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".