Resin Casting

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Resin Casting

Unread post by iandt »

I'm looking to have a car body I made up copied in resin, but have tried my hand at it and have never had much success. Has anyone ever used a resin casting service or had a friend cast for them that they would recommend? I am not looking for a large order, just 10 or so good-quality castings.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Resin Casting

Unread post by Ypsi »

What are you casting out of curiosity?
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Sorry the photo is such poor quality, but I 3d-printed an HO version of Conrail's G43 gondola that I designed in Sketchup. Since they don't make this car in HO, I figured it would be a cool challenge to do it myself. Problem is 3d printing it cost $101 so I can't get more than one that way, but I can't settle for just one :D
Attachments
CAM00596.jpg

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Have you tried making a mold, and using liquid resin?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

hoborich wrote:Have you tried making a mold, and using liquid resin?
I have tried resin casting in the past, and never had much luck with it. I am considering revisiting though. When I tried a while ago I never used a permanent rubber molding material, just Composimold, which basically ripped apart whenever I pulled the piece out of the mold, even with mold release. I may try again with the pink or blue rubber molding material you see used in Model Railroader and such, I just need to figure out the right way to design sprues into the mold for pouring into and escaping air.