Converting from O to HO

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Converting from O to HO

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hey all,

So I've been thinking about getting back onto the model railroading bandwagon and I found a layout that I really like to fit in out old 1960s bomb shelter: GTW, 1970s (probably upgrade), SE Michigan (Armada/Romeo area). There's just one problem.

It's O gauge.

Because all of my stuff is HO and I am not a huge fan of O gauge, is there a way for me to convert the measurements (11ft X 15ft) from O to HO to know exactly how big it'll be? I have a few other ideas to possibly mesh with it but I can't seem to find anything on how to convert the size down a scale and without it, this whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

Thank you for the help, in advance!

--NSSD70ACe
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Re: Converting from O to HO

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

So I'm confused... You are thinking of purchasing an o scale layout, but are into ho? So you are asking if there is Way to convert the operations down to HO from O? Yes that is possible I suppose. But without more info as to what you want to convert down to it is impossible to say. You can get a lot into an HO 11x15 layout, but if you want to keep the operations of the O gauge layout but model in HO it will be considerable smaller. (I believe that is what you are getting at.) another thing to think about is if this is O gauge proper, or the toy version of O gauge. Because the operations of toy o gauge are vastly different as the cars are designed for tighter radai.
Not sure if that helps or makes sense, but your post didn't make much sense to me either :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

He wants someone to do the math to convert an O scale plan to HO.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

HO is half of O (HO = Half of O). So cut the O scale layout dimensions in half.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Not exactly, because 48 is not half 87.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CRMan5 - It's pretty darn close enough for what you want to do. In fact, because HO is not quite half of O you give yourself a little room for error while building which you will appreciate :) As for the name see the Derivation of HO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HO_scale.
railohio wrote:Not exactly, because 48 is not half 87.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's pretty darn close enough for what you want to do. In fact, because HO is not quite half of O you give yourself a little room for error while building which you will appreciate :) As for the name see the Derivation of HO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HO_scale.
railohio wrote:Not exactly, because 48 is not half 87.

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Divide all dimensions by 1.81, except aisles, leave those the same size :-p.
BUT, make sure the O scale plan isn't intended for 3-rail O. Then the
curves will probably be to tight for HO. That O-27 curve would end up
as a 7.5" radius.

And if the plan is Richard Cooke's 11 x 15 you're better off starting from
scratch because that track plan has nothing to do with the actual Romeo
Sub.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good point about the aisle width and radius however stick to dividing by two unless you're one of these Pie fanatics and carry everything out to the billionth decimal :P
Brian_F wrote:Divide all dimensions by 1.81, except aisles, leave those the same size :-p. BUT, make sure the O scale plan isn't intended for 3-rail O. Then the curves will probably be to tight for HO. That O-27 curve would end up as a 7.5" radius.
You are so right! However, it would be a nice little and easy to build layout 8) . If it were me I'd use my "modeling license" and add the Ford Engine plant and the proposed (but never built) stone transload both in Romeo.
Brian_F wrote:And if the plan is Richard Cooke's 11 x 15 you're better off starting from scratch because that track plan has nothing to do with the actual Romeo Sub.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

railohio wrote:He wants someone to do the math to convert an O scale plan to HO.
Not entirely correct..I was planning on doing it myself I just wanted to know what I would need to do to convert the measurements from HO to O. Even though CM5 has a good point, the bomb shelter is not big enough for it. It's only 11x11, which is why I wanted to convert the measurements from O to HO to make it fit.

Thanks for all the help!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I always wondered what happened to all those old bomb shelters people were building in their backyards, back in the 50s. Anybody remember those air raid drills back in school. I think it was 10 rings on the bell in the hall. Get under your desk and put your head down. They were already scaring the crap out of us. :P
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote: Get under your desk and put your head down.
Duck and cover!

My generation gets a big kick out of watching these. My history class got a good lol out of it. Thank goodness we don't have these dumb drills - which wouldn't save a life!

But you felt safer, and I guess that's all that matters when all you can do it kiss your arse goodbye! (if you even had time to compute that the flash was an atomic bomb before being wiped from the face of the planet)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Now days it could get posted on Facebook or Twitter or whatever and would reach everybody (young people who frequent that stuff) before the sound waves from the siren. My neighbor when I was in High School had an old bomb shelter behind his house. I can tell you for sure that it was used for anything BUT a bomb shelter by all the neighborhood kids.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Don't get me going. The government has been scaring the crap out of us for 50 years.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Hey all,

So I've been thinking about getting back onto the model railroading bandwagon and I found a layout that I really like to fit in out old 1960s bomb shelter: GTW, 1970s (probably upgrade), SE Michigan (Armada/Romeo area). There's just one problem.

It's O gauge.

Because all of my stuff is HO and I am not a huge fan of O gauge, is there a way for me to convert the measurements (11ft X 15ft) from O to HO to know exactly how big it'll be? I have a few other ideas to possibly mesh with it but I can't seem to find anything on how to convert the size down a scale and without it, this whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

Thank you for the help, in advance!

--NSSD70ACe
I'm an O/HO modeler I can take all the O stuff for you