N Scale VS HO Scale. What are the pros and cons of both?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

N Scale VS HO Scale. What are the pros and cons of both?

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

I plan on getting into model railroading with the intent of a creating a layout of Saginaw and am feeling ambitious enough to do one of most of Mid-Michigan and Detroit and habe HO and N scales in mind. In need of advice, I ask what would be the better scale to use and why. I'm leaning toward N-scale as the models are just as detailed as HO scale and don't take up as much room but HO scale is appealing because of its nice size and they seem to cover a lot more than N scale. Can I get some evaluation please?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: N Scale VS HO Scale. What are the pros and cons of both?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

N scale models are not as detailed as HO. They have come a long way, but you won't find things like numerous separately applied parts (they're often just molded on in N scale) and road specific details in N like you will in HO.

There are plenty of pros and cons to each but you've pretty much outlined the most important ones:

-You can fit a lot more railroad into a space in N scale

-There is a much larger selection of eras and equipment in HO scale

HO is also much easier to work with if you plan on custom painting or detailing
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Posting from phone, so apologies for brevity.

HO scale will give you a better selection of equipment, although half the fun (according to some) of modeling is building what you need.

N scale will give you more action in a smaller space. I've been able to build a 2x4 module for a dorm room a couple times, N scale seems to be slightly more affordable than HO, but it's catching up fast, pricewise.

I'm partial to N, and prefer it over HO (my collection is N), mostly because we have a local group of N scalers who get together periodically and run trains. It's a lot if fun to put together a 100+ car train and deal with the dynamics of train handling on a layout.
~ Charles W.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

As I like to simplify it. N is good for opperatiobs people. You can get more into a. smaller space. O is for detail oriented people because it is easy to super detail. HO is a fairly good compromise of both. You can do a fair amount of detailing and custom work, and still have half decent ops in a small space.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

G = gigantic
O = outlandishly oversized
HO = horribly oversized
N = nothing

pessimist's view of model train sizes
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT3001 wrote:G = gigantic
O = outlandishly oversized
HO = horribly oversized
N = nothing

pessimist's view of model train sizes
N = nifty or neat. Or Nine mm (rail distance).
~ Charles W.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

ConrailMan5 wrote:As I like to simplify it. N is good for opperatiobs people. You can get more into a. smaller space. O is for detail oriented people because it is easy to super detail. HO is a fairly good compromise of both. You can do a fair amount of detailing and custom work, and still have half decent ops in a small space.
I'm kind of both. Being an artist, I apreciate detail bit at the same time with what I envision for my layout, I'll be dealing in the dispatcher/ train master side of things. N scale affords me much more space and therefore, the chance to have trains of realisic length while HO provides the opportunity for a muc more realistic look and possibly at the expense of longer trains.

Choices! Choices!

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Why stop at N scale(9 mm)? What about Z scale (6.5 mm) or T scale (3 mm).
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

N scale is too small for me. If you are going to get into sound for your locos, it won't sound as good as HO. And you surely won't be doing your own installs, unless you are a watchmaker. You will have a better selection of equipment in HO, and it is easier to work with, than N scale. It is a decision that each person has to make for themselves. HO seems to be the most popular for many years now, but I notice N is gaining in popularity.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

N scale and anything smaller is not as interesting to me. S scale and larger is too expensive. HO is just right. :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)