GTW Customers Holly sub

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

GTW Customers Holly sub

Unread post by rdenman62 »

Not sure if this shouldn't be posted on the "Michigan" thread but Can anyone possibly list the customers on the GTW Holly sub during the mid to late 70's. I have searched thru this site but just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. I thought there was a topic on here that already discussed this but I just can't seem to find it. Customers, spurs, sidings would be what I'm looking for. I went to the durand depot but no one was around to help me out.
Last edited by rdenman62 on Sun May 31, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GTW Customers Holly sub

Unread post by AARR »

Are you looking for a list that covers from Detroit to Durand or just a short segment in-between?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

From Detroit to Durand would be great.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

rdenman62 wrote:From Detroit to Durand would be great.
Really, OMG, in the 1970's they probably had a 100 or more customers on the Holly Sub. I'll try to list some of the major ones later like the auto plants around Pontiac.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Wow didn't have any idea it would be that many so let's narrow it down to between Pontiac and Durand....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm not an expert since I didn't begin railfanning in the late 1980's and much had changed since the Staggers Act of 1980.

Just outside of Pontiac a company that shipped boilers or something like that.

Waterford had Erb Lumber, a GM Distribution warehouse, a Coors Beer warehouse, a landscaping materials company and another company that I recall seeing a box car at as late as the 1980's.

I don't know if there was an active shipper in Holly but I know that Chessie and GTW interchanged automotive traffic there on a regular schedule and it was very important that it get to its destination quickly (stampings perhaps?).

There were another lumber yard or two in there. Perhaps another warehouse.

I don't know if the railcar repair shops in Waterford were open in the late 1970's.
rdenman62 wrote:Wow didn't have any idea it would be that many so let's narrow it down to between Pontiac and Durand....

rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks that helps...I grew up in holly born and raised there so I am familiar with the interchange between gtw and chessie. I do know the gtw had a spur to a factory in holly that was called Sutters. Later the name was changed to George Fisher Foundry. In fenton I know they had a lumber yard and the same goes for linden. That's about as far as my knowledge goes. If you or anyone else has any more info to share I would greatly appreciate it

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Maybe try your question over on the Historical Q&A thread also.