F scale???

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

F scale???

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The other day when I was at the railroad club a curious gentleman came down and asked me and the guys if we had ever heard of something called F scale. I looked online and found very little on this gauge. What I did find is that it looks to be very close to G scale but larger then O scale. Anyone ever heard of this scale? It amazes me how many obscure model railroading gauges are out there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: F scale???

Unread post by Ypsi »

From what I found, probably Fn3 or Fn2 which is modeling narrow gauge using G scale track, which is why I would look larger then O scale, but smaller then G scale.
Similar to G Scale below, this scale also uses 45 mm (1.772 in) gauge track, and is used for both indoor and garden railways of narrow gauge prototypes. The scale of 1:20.3 was developed to depict North American 3 ft (914 mm) gauge trains in exact proportion to their correct track gauge whilst using 45 mm (1.772 in) gauge model track. It equates to 15 mm = 1 foot (1 : 20.32) scale. Increasingly popular for both electric and live steam propulsion of model locomotives, with an ever growing range of commercially available ready-to-run models, kits and parts. Fn3 scale, together with G scale and ½ inch (1:24) scale, are commonly and collectively referred to as "Large Scale" by many modellers.

Used by mostly American modelers wishing to model smaller industrial prototypes, including two-footers; this is a minority scale. While 30 mm track is more prototypically accurate for
2' gauge, many modelers use 32 mm track gauge for the convenience of access to O-scale mechanisms, trucks, and track elements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_trans ... ing_scales
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:From what I found, probably Fn3 or Fn2 which is modeling narrow gauge using G scale track, which is why I would look larger then O scale, but smaller then G scale.
Similar to G Scale below, this scale also uses 45 mm (1.772 in) gauge track, and is used for both indoor and garden railways of narrow gauge prototypes. The scale of 1:20.3 was developed to depict North American 3 ft (914 mm) gauge trains in exact proportion to their correct track gauge whilst using 45 mm (1.772 in) gauge model track. It equates to 15 mm = 1 foot (1 : 20.32) scale. Increasingly popular for both electric and live steam propulsion of model locomotives, with an ever growing range of commercially available ready-to-run models, kits and parts. Fn3 scale, together with G scale and ½ inch (1:24) scale, are commonly and collectively referred to as "Large Scale" by many modellers.

Used by mostly American modelers wishing to model smaller industrial prototypes, including two-footers; this is a minority scale. While 30 mm track is more prototypically accurate for
2' gauge, many modelers use 32 mm track gauge for the convenience of access to O-scale mechanisms, trucks, and track elements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_trans ... ing_scales
This could be true. It was confusing when the guy was only mentioning F scale and not a variant like Fn2 or Fn3. That's all I was finding.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Is F actually a scale, or is it more of a track gauge? IIRC, there are something like 5 different gauges of "large scale" track, including G and No. 1. Being in N scale, it's all oversized to me though... :shock:
~ Charles W.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown