"What if's"

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

"What if's"

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I'm a big fan of model railroaders that take a fallen flag and say, "what if ---- wasn't merged into ---- and was still running today" or what if these two railroads DID merge, such as the C&O with the N&W in the 70's. I was curious to see if anyone has any photos or stories to share of someone who did something like that. I've seen the Rock Island on dash 8 diesels and a Texas and Pacific SD70MAC as examples.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: "What if's"

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I actually was thinking earlier today about a Warbonnet SD70ACe, or maybe an SD80MAC...someday, perhaps!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:I actually was thinking earlier today about a Warbonnet SD70ACe, or maybe an SD80MAC...someday, perhaps!
I was thinking about NKP SD40's or NP SD40's in the two tone green passenger paint scheme. Or Virginian GP30's...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

There you go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Overland-R ... 2c96717229

Best thing to do with a project you don't want to complete is paint it into a "what if" scheme. That's what I do with old passenger cars, freight cars, sometimes even locomotives. Did a CR Executive GP40 a while back (Lie what CP Rail had or has). Its a fun time killer.

I believe I have seen a what if CNW SD80MAC on EBay once. Intermountain has their line of fantasy ES44AC's. Athearn CR GP60's Etc.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

I operate my railroad on the premise that NS bought the CSX P&A sub in 1989 during the middle of CSX's abandonment spree, but like CSX, realized there was little traffic over the line and leased it to FEC.Now FEC has built up a good bit of local business and has 2 through trains every day each way as well as one road train out of Cottondale to Tallahassee. Basically it allows me to run my FEC stuff on most trains, but I can still run NS since the lease says NS is responsible for the MOW, and there is also a grain train that runs to Cottondale with NS power.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a thread in this forum about a DT&I layout with modern power. Wish I could find it again. I don't remember the thread title and when I put DT&I into Search it won't look it up :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

AARR wrote:There is a thread in this forum about a DT&I layout with modern power. Wish I could find it again. I don't remember the thread title and when I put DT&I into Search it won't look it up :(
on YouTube there's the Modern DT&I.. just search that and you will find it.. its a sweet layout.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

...makes me think about Ypsi and DT&I's trainiax drawings...more than one I wish I could have as a HO model!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:...makes me think about Ypsi and DT&I's trainiax drawings...more than one I wish I could have as a HO model!
I know at least 2 of what I have done I want :lol: one I will be doing is a modern Via F40PH (VIA 6400 specifically).. But I wouldn't mind doing up some GP60M's into my modern AA scheme.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:...makes me think about Ypsi and DT&I's trainiax drawings...more than one I wish I could have as a HO model!
I know at least 2 of what I have done I want :lol: one I will be doing is a modern Via F40PH (VIA 6400 specifically).. But I wouldn't mind doing up some GP60M's into my modern AA scheme.
I saw a Northern Pacific F40 with matching superliners last night while doing a search for something.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I once saw an old picture of Lehigh Valley ALCOs sitting in Bellvue. Apparently there were some run through freights that would orriginate in Bellevue and NKP would hand off to the LV in Selkirk? to be forwarded into NY and NJ and vice verse. So I thought about doing a railroad based on an NKP and LV merger in the 90's. This of coarse is assumes that NS never happened.

Just think LV snowbird scheme SD60's
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:I once saw an old picture of Lehigh Valley ALCOs sitting in Bellvue. Apparently there were some run through freights that would orriginate in Bellevue and NKP would hand off to the LV in Selkirk? to be forwarded into NY and NJ and vice verse. So I thought about doing a railroad based on an NKP and LV merger in the 90's. This of coarse is assumes that NS never happened.

Just think LV snowbird scheme SD60's
Or yellowjacket SD70ACe's or Gevos

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

I plan on doing quite a few Dakota, Minneosta & Eastern for their PRB Expansion in HO on my layout. Of course the PRB was proposed but not a reality. I also plan on doing at least 4 CNW SD80MAC's so that should be fun.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Well that's why I said the 90's

I was really dissapointed when NS did the 8104 in Cornell Red and yellow, Snowbird or Yellow Jacket would have been much more interesting.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:
Well that's why I said the 90's

I was really dissapointed when NS did the 8104 in Cornell Red and yellow, Snowbird or Yellow Jacket would have been much more interesting.
I think the snowbird paint would weather too quicly.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)