Bachmann DCC motor question/issue

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Bachmann DCC motor question/issue

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Afternoon all,
I have a few of bachmanns DCC on board engines, and I'm having an issue correcting a problem. When starting up, and during operations for that matter, the motor makes this really annoying buzzing sound. On other bachmann locos that were DC that I DCC'd, that doesn't happen. so it is not the motor but I believe the chip. Asking around, I've been told that there is a CV that you can reprogram to correct this issue, but I haven't gotten a straight answer leading to which CV. If anyone has corrected or dealt with this issue before, if appreciate some help.
And because it is such an issue lately, I HAVE googled it! :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Bachmann DCC motor question/issue

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Haven't had an issue on mine, although, I do seem to be getting a cracked gear scenario developing in my GP35's.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

TrainWatcher wrote:Haven't had an issue on mine, although, I do seem to be getting a cracked gear scenario developing in my GP35's.
From what I hear it depends on what year the model is from. I'm assuming the GP35 is newer, because bachmann allegedly corrected this issue on newer releases
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yea, it is a new release. Mine buzzed for a bit out of the box then stopped.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

TrainWatcher wrote:Yea, it is a new release. Mine buzzed for a bit out of the box then stopped.
So it might be a break in issue then?
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Even though there isn't much interest in this thread, figured I'd share the solution I came up with.
Digging into it, it appears that in order to make an economical DCC on board model, bachmann utilizes older DCC technology. What this means is that the chip operates on a frequency that is audible to human ears. Simply put, there is no way to fully eliminate the buzzing sound. Thinking about this, I came up with dampening the sound and reducing the vibrations that reverberate off of the inside of the shell. So, I took a thin strip of packing foam material, placed around the chassis and motor, put the shell back on (now a much more snug fit, mind you), and the sound was greatly reduced. Did the same thing to my one other bachmann DCC on board loco, and it did the same. The one problem that I was made aware of was that it could melt the plastic material if it got hot enough. However, I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Just from experience, some of the Bachmann stuff that's 5 years or older can be absolute junk. They can break and break and break constantly. However a lot of the newer stuff has a lot more reliability. In fact most of the problems I've had have dealt with the decoders and not Bachmann itself. When you get those things running right, and are able to fix them yourself they can be very good locomotives. I've owned five of their steamers and they were good engines, ran one absolutely to death and it didn't break. A loose wire sidelined it from the decoder. Sold two of them to a buddy of mine and he fixed them and absolutely loves them. On the other hand I bought 1 MTH steam locomotive and it was a total lemon. Was not happy at all.

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

I had 2 bachmann units do this. However, I fixed the problem with DH163 decoders. One thing I notice though, is that they work on some systems. Have you tried a few controllers to break it in?
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MrRail wrote:I had 2 bachmann units do this. However, I fixed the problem with DH163 decoders. One thing I notice though, is that they work on some systems. Have you tried a few controllers to break it in?
MRc prodigy advanced. And like I said the vibration dampening solved the issue. Short of switching from the bachmann decoders, there is not much else you can do.

I've got several bachmann engines, none of which I have issues with as far as reliability. I have Some of the gp40's from the mid 2000's, gp38-2's and, going back to the 90's, spectrum dash 8's. they are good cheap engines.
-Kurt Vonnegut