AA and NS at Milan

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

AA and NS at Milan

Unread post by Ypsi »

For those keeping score this is like the 5th or 6th different track plan on our third bench work (have kept the same for the last 2) anyway new idea is Milan Michigan. Basically I didn't like the operational aspects or not having a prototype for the last plan, so this one gives better ops and a familar track plan which I like. And to top it off two railroads we like to model. All I have for now is a mock up, but I will be start track laying after I get new switches in.

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Re: AA and NS at Milan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

You might wanna look into #6 switches if not #5. that would be a lot better than using #4. I can't tell in your video what you have, but it would make it better looking and better reliability .Up to you, just offering a suggestion being you are starting over. I used to have #4 switches on my layout and had all kinds of issues, upgraded to #6 on the mains and it made the layout run a lot better. I mentioned #5 due to it looks like you may not have room for the long switches like the #6 are, unless you re configure a few spots. at least the #5 won't be as sharp as the 4's are. On my next layout I'm planning #8 for main and #6 in the yards, maybe #5 in tight industries, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I have enjoyed the videos and look forward on the progress
Keep us updated

Jim
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thanks for the tip, I ordered some PECO #6 switches for the mains today, and will be using the remaining atlas #4's in the yard. The small units like my AA GP38 have no trouble with them normally, nor does most of my rolling stock. Previously I used only atlas #4's but I figured since we are starting over why not do it better.. I had planned on all peco switches for the entire layout, but the cost was too high so we're sticking with just mainline turnouts. I would have been willing to go larger, but in a 11x13 room you have to pick and choose. Thankfully this time around I am (finally) going to make sure to lay wider radius curves all around the layout. Tested some high cubes, autoracks, and superliners on the mocked up curves and they all cooperated and I left enough space for them to even meet along the main double tracked curve.

Here's a photo I took the other night, eventually I'll have some signals (most likely no operable) in place for the AA, and for NS CP milan/ CP Whittaker.. But here's my 7802 waiting on an NS auto parts train led by a top hat dash 9.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Thanks for the tip, I ordered some PECO #6 switches for the mains today, and will be using the remaining atlas #4's in the yard. The small units like my AA GP38 have no trouble with them normally, nor does most of my rolling stock. Previously I used only atlas #4's but I figured since we are starting over why not do it better.. I had planned on all peco switches for the entire layout, but the cost was too high so we're sticking with just mainline turnouts. I would have been willing to go larger, but in a 11x13 room you have to pick and choose. Thankfully this time around I am (finally) going to make sure to lay wider radius curves all around the layout. Tested some high cubes, autoracks, and superliners on the mocked up curves and they all cooperated and I left enough space for them to even meet along the main double tracked curve.

Here's a photo I took the other night, eventually I'll have some signals (most likely no operable) in place for the AA, and for NS CP milan/ CP Whittaker.. But here's my 7802 waiting on an NS auto parts train led by a top hat dash 9.

You should consider putting in the NE connector and the NW connector too.... go old school and do the three connector model... It might have more running possibilities if there is room.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

ns8401 wrote: You should consider putting in the NE connector and the NW connector too.... go old school and do the three connector model... It might have more running possibilities if there is room.
The one thing that may go back in is the interlocking tower.. Which was razed in what 91? Not enough room to do all the connectors.. there is actually going to be some staging behind the AA main so like a backdrop or trees in the way to mostly block the view along with the neighborhood and such. I want to get that modern feel in while being able to still take it back to the 90's.. while the tower would be nice, it would most likely not be a permit fixture on the layout. I may just build one and be able to put it in or out of the lot that is in its place.

I will say having the tower in place can really change how the scene looks
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/S ... ilanMI.htm

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Nice start, but I would recommend taking advantage of the open spaces on the NS mainline and add a few industries wherever possible. Just swapping cars between the NS and AA is going to quickly get boring if the locals don't have a place to send the cars to. Your going to want to give each railroad a purpose to switch the cars out within the yards. Customers such as Huron Valley Steel in Belleville or some of the feed mills along the main line west of Milan. Even having some of the AA's customers relocated along Milan would help - even if it's a track with 2 small customers.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Some roadbed down, explain my choice of roadbed and plans. Switches should be in today or tomorrow.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Got a bit of mainline laid

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Heres a track plan tour of the layout, thanks to all the snow we've been inside and able to finish the track and roadbed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice work and video, Ypsi :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

One of the first trains to cross the wired bridge

More wiring to happen tonight, and then basically done with all track work

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Looks like a couple of your loads decided to shift in transit! :lol:
Connor

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

cfriedri wrote:Looks like a couple of your loads decided to shift in transit! :lol:
yeah.. but considering that I didn't have to do multiple takes of that run by ill call it a success :P

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Here's a little teaser video. Last night I ran one of my fictional trains that runs from Toledo to Chicago via Milan and Detroit as a connection with the LSL and Cap. In this world the train comes through the yard, around the wye, and makes a short shove to the depot platform. They then depart and take the cross over onto the main track. The layout is wired I just haven't gotten around to a video on it or some other minor track changes I made. Anyway enjoy

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Update from last night