On30 Diesel

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

On30 Diesel

Unread post by Old Hogger »

A buddy stopped by today to try out a new Whitcomb 50 ton he got for Christmas. Excellent model and a very smooth runner. A short video of it running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r8xD7U9YX8

Too late for Christmas but I might have to get one.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: On30 Diesel

Unread post by hoborich »

Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of ON3 over HO, given the huge variety of HO stuff now available.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Not sure if the "advantage" you are looking for is this, but it gives you the ability to model narrow gauge, which looks to be the goal here.
On3 - Using O scale (1:48 ratio) with 19.05 mm (0.75 in) gauge track. Probably the second most popular scale. [of narrow gauge model railroading]
It's also larger then HO which can be an attractive feature to many modelers :lol: :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Not sure if the "advantage" you are looking for is this, but it gives you the ability to model narrow gauge, which looks to be the goal here.
On3 - Using O scale (1:48 ratio) with 19.05 mm (0.75 in) gauge track. Probably the second most popular scale. [of narrow gauge model railroading]
It's also larger then HO which can be an attractive feature to many modelers :lol: :)
hoborich wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of ON3 over HO, given the huge variety of HO stuff now available.
The way I understand it is like you said, it gives you the ability to model narrow gauge, but it's basically O scale on HO scale trucks. Same concept for HOn30, its HO scale stuff on N scale trucks although I have seen very little of this stuff. I have one of the limited edition Bachmann sets that I inherited from my grandfather and that's what it looks like to me. I own O, On30, and HO scale model trains of some kind and that's the relationship I see between them.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

hoborich wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of ON3 over HO, given the huge variety of HO stuff now available.
Different scale entirely - it is O scale, twice the size of HO. Same thing as the difference between N scale and HO scale. All scales have narrow gauge.