Athern New Run P40/ P42 Review

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Athern New Run P40/ P42 Review

Unread post by Ypsi »

I don't normally do review videos but the new run of Athern P40's and P42's were sweet so I decided to do a quick one. Picked up these from Steve's model trains in Blissfield today, here's a run down on them.

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Athern New Run P40/ P42 Review

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I have heard TERRIBLE reviews on some of the new Athearn RTR equipment, including the new CR SD40-2's and GP40-2's. Everything from bent detailing, and melted parts, to excessive glue and poor overall look in the detailing (sideways doors). Glad to see these atleast look good.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

These are our second and third units, first we had a Rio Grande SD40T-2 and it too is sweet. Athern has stepped up their detailing and started to do more with lighting which is nice. The SD40T-2 came with headlight and light up Mars light installed (just solid non "flashing")

I am curious to know where you read those reviews James and if they are the newest run of equiptment.. From all I have seen looking at these RTR units they have all been good (some of those issues also could be shipping or handling issues). And I don't know what you mean by "sideways doors".. Or how that would be messed up lol

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

On the Conrail FB Modeler's Page. Here are just some quotes and photos:
I got mine Monday along with the genesis gp40-2s and they are a mess. If you go the ho modelers group you can see all the pictures of them i took. They are really bad. This was my first Athearn order and my last. I will stick with my atlas Kato and Bowser. These are absolute garbage. Its sad that the SD40-2s that are RTR run better than the genesis gp40-2s.
There are glue globs on certain arts, the cab numbers are too thick, the truck sideframes look kind of thick for flexicoils. I'll wait for the IM versions. Athearn also overlubes their locos anymore. The glue globs are also on everything RTR, & GENESIS that i own. Not worth paying for crappy craftsmanship. I may get one, but it's getting stripped and repainted correctly.
All Photos from Dennis Llewellynjr to Athearns FB Page. No responses from Athearn as of yet.

That glob on the cab side is melted plastic

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's quite possible he got some lemons. I'll get some pics of my SD40-2s when they show up.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

SD80MAC wrote:It's quite possible he got some lemons. I'll get some pics of my SD40-2s when they show up.
That's what I was thinking too, I would send them back for new ones (I bet that's all athern is going to say to do anyway)