Rails on Wheels show Saline- Nov. 30 2014

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Rails on Wheels show Saline- Nov. 30 2014

Unread post by Ypsi »

The rails on wheels show is coming up in saline, this is normally a fun show to, although the cold can make changing buildings stink. Either way looking forward to it again this year! Sunday November 30th, 10am-4pm

http://www.railsonwheels.com
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Rails on Wheels show Saline- Nov. 30 2014

Unread post by Ypsi »

Well just a recap here, walked away with some incredible deals on some rare and awesome locomotives. The two highlights for us were a AHM Big Boy for $60 not running at the show, and a AHM cab forward that was running but needed a cleaning for $50. Got the pair home and cleaned them, cab forward runs like a dream and is doing a break in currently, and the big boy must have been factory new never run, after an oiling and some love it too started to run like a charm! So those engines were huge scores along with $2-$4 box car and grain hoper kits and other random cars we walked away with a lot of great products for not a lot of money.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Well just a recap here, walked away with some incredible deals on some rare and awesome locomotives. The two highlights for us were a AHM Big Boy for $60 not running at the show, and a AHM cab forward that was running but needed a cleaning for $50. Got the pair home and cleaned them, cab forward runs like a dream and is doing a break in currently, and the big boy must have been factory new never run, after an oiling and some love it too started to run like a charm! So those engines were huge scores along with $2-$4 box car and grain hoper kits and other random cars we walked away with a lot of great products for not a lot of money.
Not too bad, would have liked to have been ther that's a pretty good show.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

This was the first time that I ever missed that show, going all the way back to when Skip McDonald started it in the early-to-mid-1990s.

I'd made it to the edge of Saline, planning a stop for breakfast at Mark's Midtown, when I got a call about a death in the family and headed straight home. That pretty well scuttled any plans I had for the rest of the week.
-Fritz Milhaupt

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

fmilhaupt wrote:This was the first time that I ever missed that show, going all the way back to when Skip McDonald started it in the early-to-mid-1990s.

I'd made it to the edge of Saline, planning a stop for breakfast at Mark's Midtown, when I got a call about a death in the family and headed straight home. That pretty well scuttled any plans I had for the rest of the week.
What that's terrible, hopefully you get to come out next year though :)
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

ns8401 wrote:What that's terrible, hopefully you get to come out next year though :)
Thanks- I sure hope to!

Here's a little-known fact about the Rails On Wheels train show. When Skip McDonald and Dan Kempf founded the show, it was intended to be a "Scale-Only" show, such as others were running in the Baltimore area, with no tinplate or three-rail trains.

What they quickly learned was that there really weren't enough vendors in SE Michigan who would bring out only their scale stuff that they could fill the tables in the space they had. At least not during the then-show-heavy month of November. They also learned that a lot of the people who came through the door (especially families with kids) expected to find three-rail/tinplate at a train show. The "scale-only" aspect was dropped by the third year.

Skip transferred the show to Rails on Wheels around 2000 or so. They have been running it ever since.
-Fritz Milhaupt