Ryders in Kzoo?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Ryders in Kzoo?

Unread post by i995impalass »

What happend? they move or close the doors in kzoo?

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

It looks as if they did close their doors for good...I can't find anything about the old K-Zoo shop.
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Closed over a year ago, in August of 2005.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

you know why tho seam like they made money

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Whatever happened to the Riders on South Cedar in Lansing?

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

that one too huh? yikes i hope the one in GR dosent close it's doors

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Update

The Riders in Madison Heights will be/has closed up shop.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

SDavey wrote:Whatever happened to the Riders on South Cedar in Lansing?
Closed...
They sucked anyway...no train stuff in that one.

GT1970
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GT1970 »

One of the guys that works at the Riders in GR is always telling me that management is always complaining they don't make any money which I think is one of the reasons they shortened there hours on Saturday. Plus you look around at the staff and they always have about 3 people in the front of the store and 3 in the back by the RC stuff. Rarely have I seen it so busy where they were all busy.
"To not know what happened before one was born is to always remain a child." Cicero

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Curt wrote:One of the guys that works at the Riders in GR is always telling me that management is always complaining they don't make any money which I think is one of the reasons they shortened there hours on Saturday. Plus you look around at the staff and they always have about 3 people in the front of the store and 3 in the back by the RC stuff. Rarely have I seen it so busy where they were all busy.
I almost hate to say it but...if they're not making any money and yet have 6 people working when there is rarely enough business to keep all 6 busy at once...there may be a reason they're not making any money. I know my LHS usually has just two people working, although quite often when I go in there's only one person working...at least out front. And that one person is usually quite involved with the RC stuff (doesn't like to deal with the rest of the stuff apparently), hence the reason I'm finding reasons to go elsewhere for hobby supplies...

My point was supposed to be that employees cost money even if they're just standing around, and continually idle employees are one reason why businesses have money problems (referred to as overstaffing).

Well, that's 1.5 cents for ya anyway...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Your point Charles W,
And that one person is usually quite involved with the RC stuff (doesn't like to deal with the rest of the stuff apparently), hence the reason I'm finding reasons to go elsewhere for hobby supplies...
of why you are finding yourself going to other hobby shops is the exact reason, why it is hard for Capital City Hobbys (d.b.a Riders) to make money. When I worked at the Flint store, we each had a specific are we were fimalur with. I did trains, some one else did games, someone else did RC airplains, and someone else did rc cars, ect. This way we had specific people who knew the hobby they were selling, and not a jack of all trades, who might not know.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Matt...it's not that I have a problem with the guy specializing in the RC stuff, I have a problem in that he won't leave the RC stuff alone long enough to help other customers in the store with stuff...especially when he's just talking with people (not helping them with RC stuff- just socializing) and there're a couple people in line waiting to pay for stuff. For most of the stuff I want to buy, I already know what I need to know before I walk in the door (thanks to everyone on this site and the Model Railroading boards as well as the hobby magazines)...point being my problems with the local shop is customer service issues not lack of knowledge on the part of the employees.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

That is the same resone I stopped going to the Lansing/Holt store when it was open 6 sales people standing around talking to one RC guy, sometimes I left after standing at the counter because you couldnt get them to ring up a sale. The laast time I left I said I wouldnt be going back.... they closed shortly after.

BTW anybody been to this guys store besides me?
Michigan Model Train Center 9260 McGregor Road Pinckney MI 48169 734-426-1651.
All trains....All scales I was blown away in his store a year ago when I last went there.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

A good hobby shop on the east side is P and D hobby on 13 mile and Grosebeck at Utica. They have good business and there mostly trains.

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

I'm looking for the Atlas B&O GP40's that were released about 6 months ago. 3 different numbers. The're B&O Blue not Chessie. No Hobby Shop I frequent up here has ever gotten one in. If you guys see any in a store let me know. And no I don't do E-Bay.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

BTW anybody been to this guys store besides me?
All trains....All scales I was blown away in his store a year ago when I last went there.
Is that the little one on a lakes looks like it should be a bait shop in the middle of no where?

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

You got it Chris.

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Excellent store... without a doubt the best train store in the state. I have to be careful 'cause I'll spend every last cent I have there. Once I went in with $300 and left with about 12 cents.

Most rolling stock is discounted about 20%. And Skip's a nice guy, too. Might want to call ahead if you're making a trip off-season; he can get awful busy with the canoe rental.

ian

Scooterb wrote: BTW anybody been to this guys store besides me?