Norfolk Southern midwest layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Norfolk Southern midwest layout

Unread post by Ypsi »

.i don't know which way it's going this time. Layout is restarted again (3rd different bench work, 5th track plan) anyway here is the video

I do know that it will be a conrail themed layout with Santa Fe run through power (probably going to be a fictional town in Illinois or somewhere in the mid west) and of course is ho scale with DCC. No track plan yet, but I'm working on it by sketching on the table and paper
Last edited by Ypsi on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: It happened again.. And

Unread post by Racer »

If you want to model Conrail and Santa Fe power, you can model the NS/ Conrail Detroit Line or even the Michigan Line. NS and late Conrail days had numerous auto trains that came from Kansas City and had power directly off the Santa Fe and even UP Power. 31M that current runs on NS (ML441 during Conrail days) used to run on the Michigan Line (Then Detroit Line under NS) with BNSF-merger power and now with your mainline you can model a condensed version, especially the Detroit Line since it's only 30-40 miles long. The Detroit Line also has directional running and the Amtrak Lake Cities operated on it (With Turboliners) during the Conrail days. There is every commodity that runs through as well, Intermodal for Livernois, Steel, Coal for DTE in Trenton, and there is Warner Yard in Monroe.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a staging yard for run-throughs, it will really help.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I see you're already thinking Illinois. Look up some info on the Conrail Streator Secondary. CR and ATSF interchanged in Streator, IL and many trains ran through to Elkhart and back with mixes of ATSF and CR power.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You could do Porter even! NS trains coming from IHB have BNSF power all the time. Take NS back to CR and BNSF back to ATSF! Plus of course the MI Line and GR Sub (I suppose you could exclude the latter).

Alright, I'm stretching it. :lol:

Are thinking single or double main?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The main is single track with about 11-15 feet of staging on the wide part of the shelf. The main focus is switching which is why it will probably be fictional with the types of bussing a that you would find in the Midwest.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:The main is single track with about 11-15 feet of staging on the wide part of the shelf. The main focus is switching which is why it will probably be fictional with the types of bussing a that you would find in the Midwest.
I'm not sure about what is under your table, but is there room for a ramp to get trains to a lower deck staging area?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:The main is single track with about 11-15 feet of staging on the wide part of the shelf. The main focus is switching which is why it will probably be fictional with the types of bussing a that you would find in the Midwest.
I'm not sure about what is under your table, but is there room for a ramp to get trains to a lower deck staging area?
You need a run of 40' to 50' to get a gentle enough grade to do 'under table' switching. That, or a helix. You need a good foot of room between the bottom of whatever is 'above' your staging to the 'rail head' to have room to fix derailments, move cars, etc.

I have a run of ~12' on my layout to get my 'high line' from 'table top' to ~3" of clearance over another track on a plate girder bridge. Even that is pretty 'steep' for a model railroad.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:You need a run of 40' to 50' to get a gentle enough grade to do 'under table' switching. That, or a helix. You need a good foot of room between the bottom of whatever is 'above' your staging to the 'rail head' to have room to fix derailments, move cars, etc.
Helix's are a nice compact way to get from one level to another in minimal space. However, as I have found out, they are not so easy to build and best attempted only if you or someone you know knows what you're doing. Mine turned out ok but it took me forever (3+ years) to build and install.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

What was I thinking? You're in Horribly Oversized, I was thinking N scale!

Happy Birthday, By the way :D

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

There will be more photo updates this time around as I feel they can tell the story much quicker then I can.

Yard is laid down and so us the first part of te main. Also note you can actually tell that the ties are painted

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Nice looking yard. What is your capacity?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Up to 20 cars depending on length of cars. It will probably be 15 most of the time.

Each track is good for any of the following:
-3 hi cubes
-4 60ft box cars
-4 grain cars
-5 50ft box cars
-6 sand/ cement hoppers

Ideally we will have one trak e receiving, one be outbound cars, one "storage/ staging", and one run around, however if need be the main can be used to run around.

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

I'm jealous Ypsi.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Got the curve out of the yard laid down.

In the bottom image, the switch is where the yard joins the main. This way you have some headway to switch. And the main going below the switch will be "between the street" running in a down town area.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Added the first two industry's on the layout. Each will be good for 1-3 cars daily depending on the day. (Can't spot more then 2 cars on either at a time) but I have now ran out of supplies to continue laying roadbed, but some should be here by Thursday.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Are you point to paint your switches?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

When it's all said and done, all of the ties will be painted brown, including switches. The regular flex track we paint full pieces before installing them. Small pieces or scraps that are used to fill gaps normally under 6 inches are normally in painted, but will be painted when the switches are. Switches obviously take more time and carefulness to paint so we are waiting to do those. Also I have bought a couple of ground throws to test out and see what I like and of they will work out. Also I might have a couple track plans done tonight (not really track plans at this point but more like town layouts for the "downtown" area).

But I have not been doing any deep planning before any of the track laying I have done so far. Basically I have an idea of what I want, i sketch te idea then I just go right into laying roadbed and track. So far it has worked well and I actually like not know exactly where my track will be. I have about 4 more industries to add, and I am not sure of te layout or even what industries they will be yet.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

All but about 6 feet of shlef road bed is down now. Track starts tomorrow, unfortunately I will be restricted to the mainline for a bit because my switches are on back order until the end of this month.

And finally the weight holding down the shelf (have to use glue there) roadbed

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Were you able to salvage any of those risers, or were they destroyed? Just curious...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Destroyed. The glue holds pretty well with the foam, and I basically had to scrape them up. I didn't intend for and inclined on this layout