1:8 scale railroad "discovered" in Kentwood, MI., today

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
J T
Hates Supper

1:8 scale railroad "discovered" in Kentwood, MI., today

Unread post by J T »

I had a job at a house in Kentwood today and was pleasantly surprised to find a 1:8 scale railroad on the property. It has two locomotives, one a diesel and the other steam, and 3 cars for seating. It's on a property that is about 40 acres or so, and the tracks cover what I would estimate to be about a mile of double loop, with a section of straight track over a trestle that separates the two loops. The front loop is out in an open field and has a wye that leads to an equipment barn, and the rear loop travels through woods on the other side of a ravine that is spanned by the trestle:

I'd estimate to that be about 50-75 yards across and about 20-30 feet above the water. The man who built this railroad was the founder of a tool cutting company in the Grand Rapids area and from what I understand built everything for the railroad by hand. I'm guessing this railroad hasn't been used in 15-20 years as it was quite grown over in several areas in the woods.

This is all I'm posting for now, but I'll have more pics soon of the rolling stock, including a Bicentennial-themed diesel locomotive.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1:8 scale railroad "discovered" in Kentwood, MI., today

Unread post by hoborich »

So, the people you did the job for, were they the owners of the railroad? Or did they just buy the property with the railroad in place. Do they have any plans to get it going again? That trestle looks pretty neat. Definately a piece of work. A shame for it to just get overgrown and deteriorate.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

That steam locomotive wouldn't happen to be a model of a Rio Grande narrow gauge locomotive, would it? If so, your estimate of 15-20 years since the railroad has been used is right, and I'm surprised to hear that it's still in place.
-Fritz Milhaupt

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:So, the people you did the job for, were they the owners of the railroad? Or did they just buy the property with the railroad in place. Do they have any plans to get it going again? That trestle looks pretty neat. Definately a piece of work. A shame for it to just get overgrown and deteriorate.

I was hired by the real estate agent to photograph the house and property. The seller is someone who grew up in the house which her dad built back in the 50s. She was there briefly when I first arrived, so I really didn't have a chance to talk to her much about the railroad and its future. The agent remained with me there but she was uncertain about whether or not the railroad was going to be included in the price of the sale. I'm guessing it may be because it just seemed like one of those things that the seller would not want to have to deal with. Just speculation at this point, but I'll try to gather some more info on it soon.

Here is a look inside the equipment barn:

fmilhaupt wrote:That steam locomotive wouldn't happen to be a model of a Rio Grande narrow gauge locomotive, would it? If so, your estimate of 15-20 years since the railroad has been used is right, and I'm surprised to hear that it's still in place.
Does the locomotive in the pic above look familiar? I was going to try to get a better pic of it, but those two barrels are full of what appeared to be tiny grade coal and they were a pain in the arse to move.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

That's not the steam locomotive I was thinking of, but I recognize the Geep. I'm trying to remember now whether the narrow gauge Mikado (2.5" scale/7.5" gauge track) ever made it out of the machine shop to the track.

I never managed to get over there when anything was running, myself. After the builder died, my buddy Bill Prominski took care of grounds work for the widow for a number of years, until he, too, passed away. From time to time he'd clear away a little more of the brush that was encroaching on the right-of-way. He fired up the diesel at least a couple of times. There's a chance he was the last one to run anything there.
-Fritz Milhaupt

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

fmilhaupt wrote:That's not the steam locomotive I was thinking of, but I recognize the Geep. I'm trying to remember now whether the narrow gauge Mikado (2.5" scale/7.5" gauge track) ever made it out of the machine shop to the track.
Would that be this?

The gauge of this loco looks a bit smaller than the one outside.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

A few more shots of the track:

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

I too was there long ago with Bill. I walked the tracks, but never rode the train. I actually drove by there a week ago and wondered if it still existed. It can't be seen from road. Thanks for posting the photos.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This would be an awesome railroad to explore!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
fmilhaupt wrote:That's not the steam locomotive I was thinking of, but I recognize the Geep. I'm trying to remember now whether the narrow gauge Mikado (2.5" scale/7.5" gauge track) ever made it out of the machine shop to the track.
Would that be this?

{photo}

The gauge of this loco looks a bit smaller than the one outside.
Nope, that looks like it's 1" scale or less. The one I was thinking of was a big ole' D&RGW K-27 or K-28 Mikado that really overhung the track. I only ever saw photos he took of it resting on a stand at his business.I'm not sure whether it ever actually ran.
-Fritz Milhaupt

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The cars and engines may or may not be included in the sale, but I'm guessing the track and trestle stay! The engines and cars could be a negotiating point for any railfan buyer.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:The cars and engines may or may not be included in the sale, but I'm guessing the track and trestle stay! The engines and cars could be a negotiating point for any railfan buyer.
I'll post more info regarding that the next time I talk to the agent.

Ebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ebert »

Very interested in the property and the train does any one know if its still forsale

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ebert wrote:Very interested in the property and the train does any one know if its still forsale
It's been sold.

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

JT is this RR on Breton? Or 36th ST?
There is one on each street in Kentwood.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

A friend told me about an article on Mlive last night. Here is an update on this house and the railroad on the property.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... y_mod.html
Last edited by trnwatcher on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trnwatcher wrote:A friend told me about an article on Mlive ladt night. Here is an update on this house and the railroad on the property.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... y_mod.html
Wow! Amazing renovations. Looks so different from when I photographed it three years ago. Here are my original photos from October of 2012: http://www.planomatic.com/13393

It's great to see that they kept the railroad as well! :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is an epic bridge! Epic Bridge Hunter might be impressed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:This is an epic bridge! Epic Bridge Hunter might be impressed.
I don't think she checks in here any more.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Epic Bridge Hunter Last visited: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:23 pm. Dang does time fly :shock:
J T wrote:
AARR wrote:This is an epic bridge! Epic Bridge Hunter might be impressed.
I don't think she checks in here any more.