Detroit-Grand Rapids on a 4x8

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Detroit-Grand Rapids on a 4x8

Unread post by Racer »

It's been awhile since I have posted anything about my N scale model railroad and that's because some big changes have been done to my train layout. Insted of expanding the space, I reduced, but expanded the operations of the layout. My main challenge here was to add as much operation as I could in a 4x8 foot board and this is what I did. It's the CSX Plymouth Subdivision from Grand Rapids to Detroit and it has: 2 "active" diamonds, a point-to-point mainline that takes advantage of as much mainline running as possible, a branchline, spurs, numerous interchanges with both Class Is and shortlines, narrow industrial trackage, rural scenary, urban scenary, forests, and the operational possibilities are endless. Here are some overall layout photos (I am sorry if they are not great, they were taken with my Iphone 4):

Here is a rough track plan:

Here are a couple trains in action:

Y221 squeels his flanges as he crawls through Downtown Grand Rapids and heads back to Wyoming Yard after making a pick-up from the MQT Interchange and working Ann Street Yard.

After making the set out, D707 gets ready to depart Wyoming Yard and headed back to Lansing with cars for the local industries of Lansing, the JAIL interchange, and traffic to be forwarded to D708 for Howell and Plymouth.

That's all I have for now. The layout is currently about 100% complete. The layout is DCC and powered by an NCE Powercab and all KATO Unitrack. I'm happy how this layout came out and will be perfect for me to take wherever and is apartment friendly. :D
Last edited by Racer on Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Detroit-Grand Rapids on a 4x8

Unread post by Ypsi »

is this N scale? you did a good job of using all of the space you had
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:is this N scale? you did a good job of using all of the space you had
Yes it is N scale. Half of the fun was trying to create as much operation of an actual railroad line in as small of a space as possible. My layout does a pretty decent job of recreating current and past train operations of the CSX Plymouth Sub.
Here are the trains I have that operate for op sessions:
X500
Q195
Q334/Q335
Q326/Q327
D707
D708
Z739
G404
T950
Y221
Y495
Last edited by Racer on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You actually reduced the size of your layout?! Dang.... looks good.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

TrainWatcher wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You actually reduced the size of your layout?! Dang.... looks good.
Agreed! Nice job Chris. looks like a fun layout to operate.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

It is indeed a fun layout to operate that is until I get stuck back by the wall in the yard and can't read the dang car numbers because they are so small! HAHA Someday hopefully this next week we can get some benchwork under it and get rid of them tables
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Spent most of the day carefully "rising" the layout up at Racers house. Here is the end result....

Untitled by miketabone89, on Flickr

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Looks good Mike. When are we gonna get to see pictures of your layout?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A little bench work goes a long way. :D
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Wow... much improved. MUCH MUCH improved. Looks great T.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Okay enough people have asked me lately. Chris is the only other modeler that has seen my layout or as I call it mess. I'll go down and take some photos real quick

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

CAT345C wrote:Spent most of the day carefully "rising" the layout up at Racers house. Here is the end result....

Nicely done. Not only is Chris' layout impressive as a layout, the foundation looks a lot cleaner (in terms of clutter) and stronger than before. I have to say that I find the entire thing to be very impressive, based on the photos the two of you have posted.
~ Charles W.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

MKT_fan11 wrote:
CAT345C wrote:Spent most of the day carefully "rising" the layout up at Racers house. Here is the end result....

Nicely done. Not only is Chris' layout impressive as a layout, the foundation looks a lot cleaner (in terms of clutter) and stronger than before. I have to say that I find the entire thing to be very impressive, based on the photos the two of you have posted.
Thanks MKT, I have helped Chris with wiring first a terrible block system then DCC and now the benchwork, he has helped me come up with ways to better operate my layout and handle car routing in a small area. Its been a great trade off.

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

:shock: OMG !!!!! Chris has his layout on benchwork Gezzz I think I mention that to you about 3 years ago
Chris want changed your mind
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

PlymouthStationGuy wrote:

:shock: OMG !!!!! Chris has his layout on benchwork Gezzz I think I mention that to you about 3 years ago
Having a strong foundation for mobility is what changed my mind. I'm really happy the layout is finished. Now I can come home in the evening and just relax and operate trains and actually enjoy the layout without having work to be done. It is now stronger and the 4x8 size means I can take it anywhere I may move to in the future whether it's an apartment or my first house.

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
PlymouthStationGuy wrote:

Having a strong foundation for mobility is what changed my mind. I'm really happy the layout is finished. Now I can come home in the evening and just relax and operate trains and actually enjoy the layout without having work to be done. It is now stronger and the 4x8 size means I can take it anywhere I may move to in the future whether it's an apartment or my first house.
Like I said I told you.... that bench work can be built to be moved.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I know, that's why Mike and I had it done.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I built the bottom side like a wall in your house with studs, take the screws out of the legs and you still have the frame on the board so it does not have the option to flex.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

Wow, that's amazing the amount of stuff you have on such a small layout. That looks like the perfect size for me.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

pica wrote:Wow, that's amazing the amount of stuff you have on such a small layout. That looks like the perfect size for me.
Thanks Pica. I appreciate the comments from everyone. I am very happy with the way the layout came out. It gives that feeling of mainline operation (With passing sidings and terminals), branchline, and yard switching for both road trains and locals. It has it all and it's easy to move whenever I move into an apartment or townhouse. Depending on where my future beholds regarding living space, I plan to merge my portable GTW Michigan Air-Line Railway to have an active shortline for my MAL interchange.