Question regarding decaling

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Question regarding decaling

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm in the process of beginning to custom decal some of my locomotives in the style of the lease fleets with the reporting marks and road number patched over the former owner's markings. However, I'm using Woodland Scenics dry transfers, and while the decals appear to be fixing quite well to the paint (HO scale decals on N scale locomotives, but its not noticable looking at the more or less finished product), is there something I can or should put over the decals in order to make sure they don't wear off in the near future (from handling and the like)?
Thanks.
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Well,I have a bottle of Walthers solveset(?)..I cant find the bottle right now..but it helps the decal's set,and will help the decal film mold it's self over details like hood door hinges. I could have used it a year ago..but I just gotit...stuff works nice.
Dave C

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

try a little testors dullcoat over the model when finished easy does it though and make sure and remove all glass and lights before applying or you wind up with frosted glass
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

D'oh. I wrote 'detail', but meant 'decal'. I think its obvious what I meant, but just to clear up any confusion...

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the advice. I purchased a bottle of both solvaset and dullcote when I got the decals and really wasn't exactly sure which one to use.
Thanks again.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

For those of you who have foggy windows, try some Micro Kristal Klear to clear them up.