Getting Started with Construction

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Getting Started with Construction

Unread post by Dan M »

Well, the month of January has seen me get back into the groove with Model Railroading. So far this month I have wired four locomotives for DCC and installed three decoders. Now that has been shelved and the beginning of construction of the train room begins. Once again, the wife had to chip in "half the basement..." saying and I just smiled and said, "No, I am not doing half, half of 42 is 21feet and I am only making the room 19' x 22, not 22 x 22!" :lol:

I will be taking some photos as progress is made. Here is my POA (Plan of Attack):
1) Get lumber and frame walls.
2) Run eletrical
3) Drywall
4) Sand and paint drywall (for the entire basement)
5) Layout a scale paper railroad in room and decide on drop ceiling lighting positions (with recessed lights for dimming).
6) Make all needed tweaks and then install drop ceilings and lighting
7) Build backdrop supports and staging yard bench work
8) Build staging yard with "cameras" for PC computer to be used as visual mole brakeman at ladder switches.
9) Wire staging yard and test with DCC Booster
10) Start construction of the rest of the layout and backdrops.
11) Have trains running by 4th of July... I hope.

Some things I will be doing differently is cutting 3/4" plywood for my 1x4s instead of buying 1x4 dimensional cuts from the lumberyard. I am so tired of warped, cracked, knots, and all the sorting through the stack of wood to find a few decent pieces. I WILL NOT BUY ANY CHINESE WOOD or building products.

I will have more DCC power districts! Shorts suck. I also will be building my own turnouts and hope that goes well. I will wire and install a reverser for the Wilson turntable I purchased. I think with some modifications it will work well for me. It sure is noisy though and I will try and damper that with some foam rubber.

I will try some hand laying of track just to save some $$ on the cost of reconstruction. Mainly in industries, yards, and other areas will see the hand laid track. I will have to see how this works out because I have never done that before; if it is a pain... well it will get tossed. I plan on using a combination of plywood, cork, foam board, and the rubber foam tape for track base. I have done some testing with it and found some good combinations and read a few good articles.

All in all things are coming along slowly. So far this week the floor has been cleaned up, lumber moved, and measurements marked for the chalk line. This weekend I hope to get the walls in. 104" studs will be the height roughly and I can't wait to smell the fresh cut pine in the basement!

Dan
I am now building the Pere Marquette Almont Subdivision.
You can keep up with it here: https://sites.google.com/site/pmalmontsub/home
Take a ride on the Trunk Line! http://trunklinephotography.blogspot.com/

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Getting Started with Construction

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

sounds like your work is cut out for ya :wink:

looking forward to your updates :)
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Gov. Crappo wrote:sounds like your work is cut out for ya :wink:

looking forward to your updates :)
Ditto! But if any one can do it, you can Dan!!! :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

Good Luck Dan.

The plan seems solid - especially lighting and ceilings before the layout - I did the reverse and it was a pain and took a lot of extra time.

If you are limited in time, you may want to reconsider building your own turnouts. At first, I built my own with purchased frogs and it took way too long and significantly held up progress on the layout. However, they did look good and operated much smoother than the Atlas #4 and #6's filling up my layout.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Bill

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

Well the first wall half is in.
This will be continued to the west half of the basement today.I just hope this rain ends... I hate cutting wood in the rain!

I made some changes to allow for more layout space, well just a few inches, and reduced the door width to 30" instead of my initial 36". Mainly done to account for a larger turntable than what I had planned (I have a 14" Wilson TT). More shots coming as construction continues. The wife is unsure of my plan and its impact on the basement decorating / entertaining possibilities. I told her not too worry, it will be nice when it is all done.

Dan

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I wish I had the motivation to make my basement look nice. My layout is in the midst of basement wreckage. After a few beers I just don't care LoL.
Mark it Zero.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

If the walls aren't load bearing, have you looked into using steel studs? I'm in the process (been put on hold for the last month or so) of using steel studs for RR framework (building a module/section right now for a future layout), but they are designed for non load bearing walls, I priced em out and they are lighter and cheaper then wood, and they cut with tin snips so less mess....though I do miss the scent of lumber. The local home-depot carries em, might be worth a look, they also have cut-outs in em for wiring. Btw, nice job on the pics so far!
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

The walls are not load bearing and I have considered working with metal studs, but when I have in the past I just was not efficient in working with gloves on, then taking them off to grab a screw and drill into the stud, then put them back on and cut, etc. etc.
Come to think about it, I have not had any beer today! Something's wrong there! :lol: So for today I finished the wall on the west side of the column. The floor was a bit uneven and I had to get the sledge to get the wall in place (i guess it bears a little weight). 12 sheets of drywall will work for this project.

Over by the dartboard on the right is where a small bar will be, with some built in shelves in between the studs for glasses and other containers of beverages. I will add a soffit with some recessed LED lights over this area. If this works well I may use some LED lighting in the layout room for night time lighting, we will see. In all, I was glad to get the walls up, the electrical boxes in, and enjoy the smell of sawdust for a change!

Dan

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

Dan M wrote:I told her not too worry, it will be nice when it is all done.

Dan
Hmmm, my wife doesn't trust me anymore when I say it will be nice when its done!!!!!! :twisted:
GR Ron

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

LOL I showed her my sketch of the "bar" wall side of the trainroom (on the outside). She said it looked nice... now to keep the standard.

Today I did some clean up, rearranged some of the furniture and entertainment center (the kids playstation, etc), and finalized my wiring for lights and outlets.
I rerouted and disconnected some of the original basement lighting. The family room now has two operable lights in the basement. the layout room now has four. I will be running three lighting circuits to the train room when it is all done, 2x4 and 2x2 florescent drop ceiling types and three can lights on a dimmer. The other lights will be over the snack bar / shelves where they will also be on dimmer (LED recessed lights or halogen). The top shelve will hold the Lionel train passed down to me in the family. Still runs!

Anyway, it feels good to finally be going in the direction of building a layout. Believe me it is hard not to want throw some benchwork together and run a train... I want to take the time and do it right. I made some shortcuts in my last layout and will not make them again. I hope to start ripping some 1x4s out of my 3/4" plywood next week, if it gets warm enough. I don't want to be a dust monster in the house ripping plywood. It is bad enough just drilling holes in studs for wiring and tracking that all over the house!

DM

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Dan, having just built a layout here in the last couple of years, I should say, Avoid plywood. It is too suceptible to humidity changes. I used 3/4" OSB on my top, with 1/2" Homasote on top of that. This thing is SOLID! The OSB has such a verying grain structure that it will not expand/contract like plywood does. Of course, you need to have a good environment for the layout to begin with, if in a basement a dehumidifier is a must. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth,

Todd

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

Todd,

I used OSB on my last layout and had some issues with it. Moisture is one issue, but the other was just painting and scenery. It sure was bumpy too! In any case, the dehumidifier works great and is a must for any basement. Once I bought it the moisture problem was alleviated. One nice thing about OSB was the cost, but I have much in the way of 1x4 pine and several 4x8 sheets of plywood so I will probably stick with that for the joists. I am not sure how an 3/4" OSB joist would handle being on end.

I hope to use up all scrap to for the cleats on the risers. I have a box of scrap cut offs I have from other projects... using them will free up some space in the garage.

DM

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan M »

All good things come to an end, but being in the right place at the right time can be a benefit!

Today at Lowes in Fort Gratiot I saw $.67 1x4x8 pine! It rang up at $1.98. I said, "Wait a minute, it said 67 cents on the sign for that." The cashier said, "Oh, they did not change it yet, it is supposed to be $1.98. I have to call the manager, it was supposed to say $1.98." I told her that when I was there it was 67 cents and I was waiting for another guy to load up with his lumber before I got mine and it said 67 cents. The manager came in an gave it to me fore 67 cents! So I paid $18 for $66 dollars worth of lumber! I was not even going there to buy wood. Lucky me I went out with my truck today to pick up some scrap drywall at my mom's. Anything that saves me a buck or two in building this model railroad will help! That is three times now I have made out like a bandit there at Lowes. The last tome they were going to toss out a bunch of improperly ripped plywood (cut too short). They sold me a bunch of wood for $25 that would have cost at least $150 to buy and rip.

Keep your eyes open for a good deal or miss marked items... they are always out there if you look for them.

Dan