MIGN Layout - Wexford Sand

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

MIGN Layout - Wexford Sand

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

The following pics shows the Wexford Sand area of the layout. I have been experimenting with photos for background depth and temporary scenery. It is quick and easy way to fill in the layout. Also, The bench is only 19" deep at this location and is the only way I can see to model the sand hills.

For those who may have seen Wexford Sand Plant- are the sand hills shown too high??

Bill

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: MIGN Layout - Wexford Sand

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like a great match to me, Bill. However, if you're really picky the sand is much lighter color at Wexford Sand (now operated by Fairmount Minerals).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

awesome job...ive the same idea for the Vermontville area on the K&L...maybe a 3d flat of the station and a 3d elevator...rest of the town on the backdrop but this looks great nice busy ind. for your Line
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

jringreatwhitenorth
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MIGN Layout - Wexford Sand: location

Unread post by jringreatwhitenorth »

where on the Michigan Northern was Wexford Sand located at? how many cars a day did the business see on an average day?

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

Wexford Sand (now Sargent Sand) is actually near Yuma which I believe is on the former Ann Arbor line between Cadillac and Frankfurt - I am not sure if the MIGN operated this segment, but TSBY did and GLC does.

I have incorrectly located this north of Petoskey on my layout for added traffic. There have been great pics posted here by others that inspired me to include it on the layout. I have been working on the processing equipment, conveyors and car loaders over the last week - scratchbuilding and kit bashing from kits on hand. Anybody have an easy way to scratchbuild the long detailed trusses that support the conveyors? Here is a link to a great pic by Kelly that gives a good view of the plant:

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-49363

I am not sure how many per day - but it seems there usually is about 10-20 cars per train. Maybe others have a better estimate.

Bill

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: MIGN Layout - Wexford Sand: location

Unread post by AARR »

jringreatwhitenorth wrote:where on the Michigan Northern was Wexford Sand located at? how many cars a day did the business see on an average day?
Wexford Sand, which was acquired by Fairmount Minerals, has usually shipped several thousand cars a year. Perhaps as many as 3,250 when auto plants are busy and less when not so busy. MIGN operated AA track from Oct, 1982 - 1984ish. During that time they handled 60-80 cars a week from Yuma usually in 20 cars blocks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...