my Conrail layout: Muskegon 1978

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

my Conrail layout: Muskegon 1978

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I posted a few photos of my layout a while back, when I was still living in Portland, OR. I moved back to MI with my girlfriend three months ago, and we've been in Ann Arbor since. I took apart the benchwork for my layout, and after making a few cuts in the plywood surface boards, I wrapped them up in a tarp and they rode the roofrack 2300 miles back here! I rebuilt the layout and have made one good sized expansion, with another waiting in the wings.

My operation is Conrail over the Muskegon Secondary in 1978 (I started out on 7/1/78 back in June 08, at the one year anniversary I'm at 10/5/78). Of course Conrail never operated the Muskegon Secondary, it was sold to Grand Trunk in 1976 when Conrail didn't include the branch in their system.

Penn Central attempted to abandon a great deal of Michigan branches back in 1973. This was for the most part denied by the ICC, but in my world, they were successful. My 1978 map of Conrail's Michigan Division is based on Conrail having included all the post 1973 PC track. Conrail was still started on 4/1/76, but included a number of branches that didn't make it into the system in real life. Among these branches is the Muskegon Secondary.

Customers on my layout are all based on actual Muskegon customers, most of which probably stopped shipping by rail in the 70s and 80s. Seeing that none of them produced a great deal of carloads, I added a bit of traffic to make the operation more believable. The largest customer is Georgia Pacific. Wood pulp from Europe is transloaded from ship to boxcars at the 11th St. Dock on Muskegon Lake, and sent down to the Georgia Pacific paper mill in Kalamazoo. There is also the TV Ramp, which handles only a half dozen or a dozen trailers a week. Most of this is bound for east coast destinations, and this traffic connects to TV16 at Kalamazoo.

My Conrail operations in Muskegon include two crews, the morning yard job, on duty M-Sat at 0700, and the afternoon road freight, on duty at 1800 M-Sat. The road freight, MUKM, runs to Mosel Yard in Kalamazoo, via Grand Rapids. The same crew returns north as KMMU, running through Grand Rapids and switching customers at Ravenna and Conklin on the Muskegon Secondary as needed.

Here are a series of photos from the afternoon/evening of 10/4/78. The lighting in the basement isn't too great, so I went with the flash on the camera. It has the added bonus of hiding any crap in the background!

1. A C&O yard job has just delivered two empty Hooker tank cars to Conrail to be sent south, and is idling at the 11th St Dock office to deliver paperwork. The morning Conrail yard job, YMMU01, is done for the day, with the 9073 tied up at the office with its waycar. In the background, at upper left are the diesel "house" tracks and the 11th St Dock, at upper right is the 9th St Dock and the relatively new TV Ramp. The C&O yard job is sitting on the C&O's South Horn industrial track. The Secondary curves off to the lower right in the photo. The track layout is all based on Sanborn maps from the 20s, with a few dock tracks at 11th St removed for spacial reasons, and the TV Ramp track added in.

2. A close up view of 11th St. going track by track left to right, a water tank car and sand car, power for MUKM, GP38 7690 was used as yard power while the 9073 was away for its 90 day inspection and has been sitting on the engine tracks for a few days now, two tracks of empty wood pulp boxcars, empty dock warehouse track (almost always has cars spotted on it), a pair of ballast hoppers with a camp car behind them, and finally a bad order NYC boxcar with an old PRR NC-5 caboose parked behind it.

3. Its just past 1800, and the crew of MUKM is bringing the power past the dock office. The outbound train is typically assembled by the morning job at Muskegon Yard, a little two track affair about a mile south of here. Power is F7 1718 and F7B 3874. The rust free red Pinto helps date the photo!

4. The power for MUKM has just crossed over from the running track to the main track at Clay St and continues down toward the yard. (The UP trailer at right just about qualifies as an antique, its one of a few random holdovers from when my brother Ed and I had a trainset in our family's basement in the mid 80s.)

5. The power has tied onto the outbound train left sitting on the running track, and MUKM is ready to head south. The train consist includes a load from the TV Ramp of Shaw-Walker office furniture, the two empty tanks from the C&O, two empty BN lumber boxcars from Brunswick, and three CR boxcars of wood pulp bound for Georgia Pacific. Hope you enjoyed stepping into my 1978 Muskegon!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: my Conrail layout: Muskegon 1978

Unread post by AARR »

I like it Ben. Can you post a layout plan?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SteveHiuzenga
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveHiuzenga »

Ben! I love it. I grew up in Muskegon a few blocks from Shaw Walker. I remember in jr. high at Nelson Jr. high school I had a class right after lunch that faced the tracks and I remember watching an old beat up PC GP7 (or 9) do some switching a couple times a week. I don't think I did well in that class 'cause i wasn't paying attention.

Every night in the summer I would ride my bike about a mile and watch the GT come in with usualy 3 engines and and lot of cars. It would run around the yard and hook up to another train and in about 20 minutes after it arrived i would watch it leave. I usually had just enough time to ride back to the C & O tracks to watch them go out at night with the cannonball.

ah memories

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Nice! I enjoyed reading the background story of your layout. I would like to see a layout plan as well.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the kind words!

Steve, I'd love to hear any details you might remember about the PC operations there, even what type of cars they were switching or their roadnames. I'll see about getting a shot of the yard job switching Shaw-Walker on my layout!

For an added thrill, here is the same train returning to Muskegon as KMMU4 early in the morning of 10/5/78.
The makeup of the train is an insulated boxcar for Tri-Cities Beverage in Muskegon Heights, a car load of utility poles for the County Road Commission, and five empty boxcars from the pool of CR wood pulp boxcars heading for the 11th St Dock. The last two 40' boxcars on the train are going to be put in storage at the 9th St Dock...I finally have enough 50' boxcars to handle the woodpulp traffic that I can sideline the antiques. I plan on bringing them back out in November for shipping Christmas trees south.

I'm a little embarrassed by the missing brake wheel on the last boxcar, and the fact its a paltry 7 car train. I'd love to be hauling some serious tonnage, but my space to work with is pretty restricting. I tend to enjoy the switching/industrial aspect of railroading more than the main line trains anyways.

The raised up siding in the background is where an old coal yard was, so I decided to keep the spur in place and use it for a ballast dump. I'm planning on leveling it and making it a below ground pit. The covered hopper in the background is on the Sealed Power siding, and the CP Rail boxcar is at the Muskegon Paper Box Company siding. I'm working on posting a track plan, should have it up soon.
Thanks for viewing!
Ben

SteveHiuzenga
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveHiuzenga »

Ben:

from what i recall the PC was mostly box cars and most of them were PC or Pennslyvania.

the GT had a lot of hoppers for sand and box cars off the car ferries.

C & O had a lot of box cars from all over and Hooker tank cars from Montague.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GTW disontinued ferry service in November, 1978. So, Ben, I hope your modeling early 1978 :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Very nice layout and story Ben! I can't wait to see your trackplan, too. :)
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Muskegon track plan

Here is a drawing of the track plan on my layout... the larger drawing is the current setup. All the track is laid out as it actually was in Muskegon, with the exception of the Main Line industries and Muskegon Heights industry sidings, which are grouped on the top and upper-right corner for lack of space. The Muskegon Heights industries will be relocated onto the upcoming expansion, which is represented by the additional drawing in the bottom right. The other change will be the Main Line industries will be accessed from the right, off the main line, rather than from the yard on the left side. The next addition will be a connection off the MH expansion for Grand Rapids trains to leave the board and connect to a loop that will be underneath the main board, but that one is gonna take a while!

All the sidings have names/purposes or industries they serve, but that would have been too much to fit on one sheet of paper!

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Great track plan Ben.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Chris!
The layout is a pine framework of 1x4s and 1x2 supports, with 2x2 legs. The deck is 1/4" plywood. The Muskegon Lake area was cut out with a jigsaw and is 3/4" lower than the rest of the land portion of the layout. So at this point there is about a 1/2" gap between the ground level and water level running around the perimeter of the docks, if that makes sense. I haven't decided on how to fill this space in...screen and plaster would be one way. Any suggestions for a material to use that would give the appearance of sea wall, like the kind that you see around Lake Michigan piers?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's a very nice switching layout. Should be a lot of fun to operate. How far along are you?

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Very nice work! This looks like its comming along nicely. Keep us posted.
Nick

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Sorry to dig this up, but this is still a cool layout. Has there been any updates on it?

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Ben,
You need to get this thing inside in the basement and I wanna help
Patrick Welch

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Chris, this original post is pretty old, the layout has gone through a few transitions (moves) since then. The place we lived after this had the space in the basement to expand it to cover all of the Muskegon operations I wanted to. I normally put updates on the Michigan modellers message board, although my updates have dried up the past few years as I haven't had too much time for working on it with a baby at home. Here is a pretty thorough update detailing 24 hours of operation: http://members.boardhost.com/MichModelR ... 38332.html

We've since moved to another house where I had to put the layout in the garage, and made a few adjustments to it. If you scroll down the board there are random posts here and there with photos. The agreement with wifey is to take down half the board in the winter so we can park the car in there, so its out of commission until spring. I'm hoping to get some freight rolling as soon as possible!

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Ben,

Did you deliver some hot loads last nite? Moving some heavy tonnage.

Move the layout into the basement
Patrick Welch

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Proto48Patrick wrote:Hey Ben,

Did you deliver some hot loads last nite? Moving some heavy tonnage.

Move the layout into the basement
As a matter of fact yes...

Here is YMMU1 with three loads of structural steel at Dresser Crane:

And later that day, eastbound at Shaw on the way to switch APEC:

JAMU at Muskegon Yard:

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

droppin' some quality loads there
Patrick Welch

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I'm glad to see more updates on this layout. More pictures, please!