Modeling the HESR?

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Modeling the HESR?

Unread post by Railnut »

I know pat's been looking to build some CM GE's..and I am working on several different projects(including modifying a GP40 to make one of the 8800's), but I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a modular HESR layout, like N-Traks, but in HO. I could do Croswell-Applegate, or Carsonville, or heck, even Sandusky! I was thinking of making it an open era layout, where C&O(or PM if ya wanted), CSX, GTW, or HESR power would be accepted, depending on region of course:-) So if anyone's got any HESR GP9's of GP38's lying on a shelf, this would be a great oportunity to run them......heck, sounds fun to me anyhow..
Dave C

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I've got the CMGN 8803 just laying around here... needs to be reengined but hell thats easy its an athern unit. that'd look good on it.

Dan M
Railroadfan...fan

Modular Layout

Unread post by Dan M »

Dave,

I have posted this idea before on the Michgan RR board and you and several other "Thumb Railroaders" have responded, but where to operate and other issues too. I have also suggested having an HO Scale club in the Port Huron area as well (or thumb). Again several have been interested, but getting something going is always hard, especially with family demands, economy, and all the other factors of life.

I have always had interest in doing an HO scale module. C&O, GTW or PM era would be fine. Since I am modeling the PM and to a lesser point the GTW with my next layout, I may concider a module as a short term project to experiment with other ideas and techniques until I build a larger layout. RIght now, I surely do not have the time for any project like this. Most of my woodworking tools are packed away, and of course with no garage and 20 degrees out, I am not excited to go cut wood. I am hoping my house sells soon so some progress on this idea can go forward.

If you were to do a segment of the PM Port Huron to Saginaw line, that would be an interesting section to model. Though there was not a high volume of traffic, the bridge over Mill Creek would be a great scene! I am still drawing plans for the PM ALmont Line. I have it narrowed down to three and I am just tweeking the three ideas.

Dan Meinhard
I am now building the Pere Marquette Almont Subdivision.
You can keep up with it here: https://sites.google.com/site/pmalmontsub/home
Take a ride on the Trunk Line! http://trunklinephotography.blogspot.com/

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Well dan, the Port Huron sub is where I was looking to use some creative licence, and run it the full length, Saginaw-Port Huron..not prototypical, but heck, thats what a model railroad is there for, to interpret railroading as you seem fit, much like your layout. Imagine seeing HESR GP9's yarding their train in the old PH&D yard at Tappan!
Dave C