Don Simon's Layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Don Simon's Layout

Unread post by AARR »

Okay, some of you guys asked, I'm not very far along, but here's where I'm at.

The Layout: Image

The Helix:

The Cars:

The Buildings:

The Work Space (Where I build my models):

The Diagram: The lower level represents points south of Diann and north of Ann Arbor; Huber = Ann Arbor; West Pittsford = Milan (Conan Powder Co.) and Dundee (Coal Loader); Innishowen = Diann. I'm putting industries in the same locations but modeling Ann Arbor prototypical industries. For example the coal loader = Dundee Cement; Silk Mill = Fingerle Lumber; Freight House = Dundee Grain, engine facilities = freight house, interchange, and coal yard, etc. On my layout the track to Conan Powder Co. leads to Milan interchange with N&W and several Milan industries (it angles away from main board like Huber/Ann Arbor side of board):

Me and my better half, Redina, who gives me alot of help, with this hobby:

There you all go!

Big thanks to my son Andrew, who is an expert at taking pictures because I am technologically challenged when it comes to posting pictures and taking them!

edit: I'm putting this picture in here too because without me, this post would have never been possible :D My dad said that I had to put a picture that had my sister in it too :roll:
Don Simon
Last edited by AARR on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Don Simon's Layout

Unread post by SD80MAC »

So we get to see the layout and the infamous Don Simon! Looks great, can't wait to see some trains running on it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

Hey Don, looks like you need a haircut :wink: :wink:

It ought to be fun putting track down in the helix with it built up like it is; how much seperation do you plan to have between levels??

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hey Don, looks like you need a haircut

It ought to be fun putting track down in the helix with it built up like it is; how much seperation do you plan to have between levels??
Right after Andrew posted this Redina was cutting my hair when Lindsey came running in that you posted I needed a haircut :lol:

3-1/2". The helix is not mounted yet so that I can raise each level like an accordian. Once the track is secured it'll get permanently mounted.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

It must be contagious; I'm getting Sue to buzz mine here shortly too :wink: :wink:

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

cool Don..looks like youve been armchair modeling for a while :mrgreen: ...keep us upto date :wink:
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

Don,

It all looks good!

Nice clean benchwork.

It will be fun to watch it develop
Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Very nice work Don!
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Nice job on the layout Don. When its my time to build a layout and I need to put in a helix. Now I know who to call
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Nice work Don....

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Don you better tell your AA crews to get some extra tough rain coats, the turds from those birds flying over head might be devastating. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

When its my time to build a layout and I need to put in a helix. Now I know who to call
My brother in law, Dave Klem, built the helix off-site and transported it to my house. He is not a model railroader but loves carpentry. He simply wanted to take on the challenge of building the helix cause he's never done it before. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreicated!

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

Nice track plan. Lots of operation.

Doug

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Looks really cool, can't wait for some operations.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

That helix looks pretty tight. 24" radius curves? But you're pulling short cars in short trains, right? My long autoracks and hi-cubes would never go around that (not to mention they probably wouldn't have vertical clearance) helix!

Garry K

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That helix looks pretty tight. 24" radius curves? But you're pulling short cars in short trains, right?
You have a good eye, GaRRy. The outside loop is 26-1/2" and the inside is 24". There's 3-1/2" clearance between each level. The rise is under 3% (2.76 to be exact). My longest freight car is 40' and my passenger train is only three cars so I should be in good shape.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Autoracks, and parts cars, should handle a 24" curve, especally in a hidden place like a helix, as long as you dont have anything longer then a 20 or 30 car train. Especally if they are weighted to specs. It would be nicer to have bigger curves, but still should work.

PS, anyone else notice a common "thing" in all the photos. :wink:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

as long as you dont have anything longer then a 20 or 30 car train. Especally if they are weighted to specs.
I don't plan on running trains more than 15ish cars. In the 1950's, the era I model, AA ran six short trains per day, 3 in each direction. One was a hot train (mostly meat southbound and auto's northbound), one switched major interchanges (Milan, Diann, Ann Arbor, etc.), and the last one switched industries and minor interchanges.It wasn't until late 1950's/early 1960's that AA ran one big train in each direction with three locals handling local business.

I've always weighted my cars to spec. I also take great care laying track and solicit the assistance of my Uncle Francis who has a great eye for track laying. The combination has led to smooth operations.
PS, anyone else notice a common "thing" in all the photos.
Sure, they all have trains in them :lol:

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Looks great job. :D Don
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master