My Layout - Ludington Northern Railway

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: My Layout - Ludington Northern Railway

Unread post by AARR »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Again I say, I hope your not going to cover the diamond. I'd suggest the upper level trackage should have a wider curve that is closer to the edge of the table where it doesn't run run directly over the diamond. With the trackage that goes over the main and the track to staging, have a set or two of girder bridges over the lower-level. It's best to have that diamond not covered. It will also give you the option for an interlocking scene with a tower, signals, etc.
Aside from the practical reasons for leaving a diamond uncovered there is also that its fun to watch a trains cross a diamond and listen to the metal wheels hit the gaps :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote: Aside from the practical reasons for leaving a diamond uncovered there is also that its fun to watch a trains cross a diamond and listen to the metal wheels hit the gaps :)
No need to worry, there is another one that is uncovered. Thing is, it's not a good place for an "interlocking" scene. There has never been any interlockings in Ludington.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: No need to worry, there is another one that is uncovered. Thing is, it's not a good place for an "interlocking" scene. There has never been any interlockings in Ludington.
Probably never been any tunnels, or track over tunnels, etc... Just don't get why you want that diamond covered up because 'there has never been any interlockings in Ludington' but seem ok with having tunnels? I mean, its your layout and all...

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: No need to worry, there is another one that is uncovered. Thing is, it's not a good place for an "interlocking" scene. There has never been any interlockings in Ludington.
Probably never been any tunnels, or track over tunnels, etc... Just don't get why you want that diamond covered up because 'there has never been any interlockings in Ludington' but seem ok with having tunnels? I mean, its your layout and all...

Practice Safe CSX
I suppose the tunnel argument works. I used a little creative license with those because of the Sand Dunes. However, since it's a access to a staging area, and maybe the connection to another part of a layout someday, and not meant to be part of a scene, I located it right where I could get to it. In addition, moving it would require a whole re-design of the upper deck. Quite frankly, if I want a large, centerpiece Sargent Complex, I need that whole corner. Making the tunnel daylight would see me lose 3-5 inches of layout.

I really hate rejecting ideas, but as with DCC, I can't really find a good option. So, I cut my losses, a located it where I can fix any issues.

If anybody has a better idea of how to work this, let me know.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: If anybody has a better idea of how to work this, let me know.
Why not just a spur off to the edge of the layout on the top level? Saves you additional track in a tunnel, which would be utterly inaccessible under the industry above, and could give you a couple car 'interchange' location now. Where your tracks curve in the semi-circle to what I assume is the sand plant just put a switch to the edge of the layout.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
Why not just a spur off to the edge of the layout on the top level? Saves you additional track in a tunnel, which would be utterly inaccessible under the industry above, and could give you a couple car 'interchange' location now. Where your tracks curve in the semi-circle to what I assume is the sand plant just put a switch to the edge of the layout.

Practice Safe CSX
Ehh....not my first choice, but I'll consider it. The top level will be like that....I do have the right switch to do it up there. I'll add it to the list of things to think about.... :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
Ehh....not my first choice, but I'll consider it. The top level will be like that....I do have the right switch to do it up there. I'll add it to the list of things to think about.... :)
Its your layout, so you do what you want obviously. With all that inaccessible track, you're just begging for problems, and that is where they are going to happen. You're going to be spending all your time trying to get cars that have derailed, rather than enjoying your layout.

Practice Safe CSX

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CSX_CO wrote:Its your layout, so you do what you want obviously. With all that inaccessible track, you're just begging for problems, and that is where they are going to happen. You're going to be spending all your time trying to get cars that have derailed, rather than enjoying your layout.

Practice Safe CSX
That and your reducing your variety of scenes. More tunnels means less industries, interchanges, and even towns you could place. That's why I don't like tunnels on layouts and did not do one in my layout. I can understand tunnels "breaking from scene to scene" but that's what highway bridges do on my layout. Then again, it is your layout.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Its your layout, so you do what you want obviously. With all that inaccessible track, you're just begging for problems, and that is where they are going to happen. You're going to be spending all your time trying to get cars that have derailed, rather than enjoying your layout.

Practice Safe CSX
That and your reducing your variety of scenes. More tunnels means less industries, interchanges, and even towns you could place. That's why I don't like tunnels on layouts and did not do one in my layout. I can understand tunnels "breaking from scene to scene" but that's what highway bridges do on my layout. Then again, it is your layout.
Thanks for all the advice. The main purpose of the tunnels (there are 3, maybe a short 4th...), but 2 of them are the ramps up to the upper level, and must pass under other industries. I have made an effort to daylight as much as possible. I'm looking at, from long to short, a 8ft, 6ft, 6ft, then maybe 1-2ft. I hate having to do it. I'm gonna experiment with those plugs and see how they work. Like I said, I have added many re-railers to contain the carnage.

It's not too late to change...and I'm open to doing so.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

MQT3001 wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
Thanks for all the advice. The main purpose of the tunnels (there are 3, maybe a short 4th...), but 2 of them are the ramps up to the upper level, and must pass under other industries. I have made an effort to daylight as much as possible. I'm looking at, from long to short, a 8ft, 6ft, 6ft, then maybe 1-2ft. I hate having to do it. I'm gonna experiment with those plugs and see how they work. Like I said, I have added many re-railers to contain the carnage.

My only advice is, if you must cover track. test it test it test it and test it again BEFORE sealing it up. I Test ran my little bit of hidden track many times before I sealed it in, its still accessible, but only just enough to get to it in case of problems

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

MQT3001 wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:

Practice Safe CSX

Also, you can install as many re-railers as you'd like, but if you have one car that picks the diamond (If you decide to seal it up), your in trouble. That is something that can happen with any future locomotive or railcar you add to your railroad.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

My derailment that I had in Bills Tunnel was a good one I had 11 ore cars wedged on the track. I couldn't push them out no matter what we tried. Just keep in mind planning doesn't always go as planned and planning and railroading usually don't go as planned unless the plans are not in your favor!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

CAT345C wrote:My derailment that I had in Bills Tunnel was a good one I had 11 ore cars wedged on the track. I couldn't push them out no matter what we tried. Just keep in mind planning doesn't always go as planned and planning and railroading usually don't go as planned unless the plans are not in your favor!
So how did you get them out?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

need to send in the wreck train!
:wink:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Thankfully bill had an access hole.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

rerailers work about 40% of the time.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:need to send in the wreck train!
:wink:
Not enough guys standing around pointing at the one guy doing the actual work. Close to prototypical though!

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:Not enough guys standing around pointing at the one guy doing the actual work. Close to prototypical though!

Practice Safe CSX
Thats because they work for a private company and not the government :wink: :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Layout Update #9, 3-8-13
This one is in two steps, some pics being taken a few days ago, others within the hour:

First major change is I started laying cork on the upper deck. I ended up dipping the tracks to 2 inches for the diamond, so the ramps could be less steep. Thus, there is a small ramp over there. A bit awkward shoving into the eventual sand pit, but I know the trains can handle it. The tracks look a little rough, but I've since fixed the bump...

9-1 by MQT3001, on Flickr
9-2 by MQT3001, on Flickr

I also added another industry siding. This I hope will be able to fit in a Lumber yard, but if not, perhaps a TEAM track.
9-3 by MQT3001, on Flickr

Fast Forward to today, the 2nd and final main ramp is in, the whole east upper deck is corked and down, just needs ballast and finish the spurs, but I wanna wait to finish Sargent and see what I have left over for track....
9-5 by MQT3001, on Flickr
9-6 by MQT3001, on Flickr

And finally, I ballasted most of the yard:
9-4 by MQT3001, on Flickr
You can also see my little soldering operation. I still have to connect 1 feeder on the other end of that block, but right now the train putts along reallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow :x . I'm also considering adding more feeders. Like nearly doubling them. Gotta see what they've got at Hobby Recycling when I have to go back soon for more ballast, insulated joiners, and possibly 1 more turnout.

Also, I have decided on the fate of the tunnels. I'm not going to modify any track I've already laid. Instead I'm going to not make it a true tunnel back in there. I'm having some 2-inch lengths of various board cut, and those will support most of the underside of Sargent, but leave channels of access for the underground.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Alrighty. Not much photographic value in what I did today, so there won't be any new ones. Basically, I did lots of wiring. All track minus 2 spurs are now fully wired!

Remember from last update how that one block of mainline ran really slow? Well, tried to wire the other two feeders in that block, and got NOTHING. Tried everything I could. It was a simple block too, all one track, no turnouts, just that 90 degree diamond that will be buried. Well, tired, tried, and tried some more. I decided to think on it, and wired the other spurs, so the system I had worked. Then I thought maybe something was wrong with the mainline part of the diamond. The "south connection" as I call it now worked fine over it, and wasn't insulated at the crossing. So I decided to turn it 90 degrees. Sure enough, the mainline worked and the connection did not. So I'm gonna be replacing the diamond. Oh well. In case anyone is wondering, that diamond was not used in the past. I came in the original packaging. Wiring must be wrong.

In other news, that solved my mainline power problem. That diamond was fouling the circuit, and so that's why I had earlier had success isolating the main into different blocks. So, I was able to take those out, and will need fewer feeders, but I think I will add them anyway in case the track expands and contracts weirdly over time and breaks the circuit. So now all mainline trackage runs. I now have 75% or so of the Main laid, and about 50% of the sidings and spurs.

I have tested some ops. Two things I've found:

1. I'm gonna want to add a cab track for the yard. I like the astetics of cabooses, even though they wouldn't really be run in my chosen modern era. At least it's there for when I want it.
2. The length of trains is limited by the turn & diamond at the "north" end. It's limited to about 24 cars, depending of course on the length of the cars. I tested it, and my 3 current units can do the ramps rather easily with those 24 cars. The two SWs can do it with a few less cars.

For a visual, this is the corner I'm talking about:
9-5 by MQT3001, on Flickr