Do you know this book: MICHIGAN RAILROAD LINES by G. Meints

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Do you know this book: MICHIGAN RAILROAD LINES by G. Meints

Unread post by mikekmac »

MICHIGAN RAILROAD LINES, by Graydon Meints, MSU Press, 2005

Saw this in the catalog of the Capital Area District Library, but the library's copy is tagged Reference-Library Use Only and located at the main library downtown.

I'm wondering if there's enough in it of interest to a railfan who is not a rail historian to warrant a trip downtown (a place I rarely go). If you've laid eyes on these volumes, I'd be interested in your railfan's opinion of its contents.

-Michael

PSK at CH45.2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PSK at CH45.2 »

Michael,

I've got these two volumes. There is a lot of good information packed into them, but in my opinion they are not really geared for railfans who are not into the history of railroading in Michigan.

They consist primarily of tables for every railroad, except those that are/were privately owned, that ever operated in Michigan (between 1836 and 1999) showing the station names and milepoints, when each segment of track was built, sold, abandoned, etc. and summarizing the change in route miles for that line.

There are also maps for each county showing the railroads and stations in each, but they are very schematic and do not show any roads or other topographic features. Schematic maps are also included for the cities of Detroit, Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Jackson, Lansing, Pontiac and Saginaw.

To me they wouldn't warrant a special trip downtown. If there is a piece of information regarding a specific railroad you are interested in, send me a PM and I'll look it up for you.
Pete (PSK at CH45.2)