Durand July 4 Weekend

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Durand July 4 Weekend

Unread post by AARR »

Does anyone think there will be normal activity around Durand this July 4th weekend? Which day do you think will be most active, Fri, Sat, or Sun?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

saturday and sundays traffic should be pretty normal if not a little higher because of not running much on friday.

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

Is there any 'special' activities for the holiday?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

for Durand? a parade i think that about it.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Why you ask Don, you thinking of making a trip up there?

I was going to hang at Delray on Saturday, but I would be tempted to go to Durand instead.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

trainjunkie47 and anyone else, yes, I'm thinking of going to Durand Saturday.

I just completed phase 1 of going to Durand Saturday...Mrs. Simon said she can't think of any reason at this time why I can't go. If she's still saying this 48 hours from now and no emergencies arise I'll probably head on over there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

My son and I will prob swing by Durand after I pick him up in Howell.

There was a more traffic than usualy on the Holly sub last night (by my ear). Hope there is sufficent 'make up' traffic from the 4th today as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Had a nice time, Saturday. Steven, Dennis, Dick, and a few others were there that I know of. Steven saw four trains betweem 5:45am and 7am. Together we saw another 5-6 from 7am until 2pm including an early CMGN train that arrived in Durand before noon.

Durand yard looked a bit empty. There was an empty and loaded coal train, a long block of ballast cars, and some miscellneaous freight sitting in the yard. I was hoping for some big CN setouts but it didn't happen when I was there. Just one small setout of 7 cars by a Detroit bound train.

I also ran to Owosso and checked out GLC's Engine Shops and Freight yard. All the engines were out and I snapped a picture of as many as I could fit in. I'll post it later.

Steven watched trains for a while but then those railfan groupies showed up and he left to go to church and say some prayers with the nice young girls...at least that's what he said. But I have my suspicsions they may have had something else in mind because they were playing the rap crap music and doing donuts in the parking lot as they left... :lol:

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

I was there late as usual. Missed the HESR coming into town and saw only
4 trains total. However... with the sun backed around to the north side of the
tracks I got photos of a westbound coming around the curve at Oak Street
with a CN unit leading 2 UP engines that I have very high hopes for.

Left town about 7pm and followed the line east back to Emmett and saw
NOTHING. Oh well, still better than sitting on the couch at home.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

Does being there for a couple of minutes in the morning and on time in the evening count :wink: :wink: ?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does being there for a couple of minutes in the morning and on time in the evening count?
We thought you'd be on time in the evening even though that flock of crows caused you to be 30 minutes behind in the morning :) . When you don't use notches 2-7 you can pick up speed pretty quick :lol: .