Snaggeg this gp38-2 a NS unit switching for NYS&W

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Snaggeg this gp38-2 a NS unit switching for NYS&W

Unread post by AARR »

Do you know which customer gets the tank cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

A couple of possibilities, there are the two "energy" companies. They sell oil & propane. But most likely Sute-Cote, the regional big boy in road paving. They have their Asphalt plant there and also have a straight oil for oil & stone a mile or two up the road. Get their raw materials by rail and process at both plants. Haul to either customers or their jobs by a fleet of trucks. Where I worked before I retired was a big customer for oil & stone. We also used the products from their asphalt plant. There are times when trucks are lined up all the way to the road waiting for type 6 or 7. So they have to be one of the more active customers for NYS&W. They also get their limestone "chip" (3/8 minus gravel) from the Jamesville-dewitt stone quarry and the NYS&W has a spur there as well. They also have a washer rock operation but doubt they ship anything out.

NYS&W have quite an operation in Cortland now, seems like its more and more active. Have two places I know of for loading and unloading...the oil and tank car facility obviously one but they have a deck/ramp at another place along with a bunch of storage space for those tank cars out behind Sute-Cote

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you, great information afleet :D .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Take a look at the car at 1:52 -- the second to last car on the train, to be exact. The placard says HOT 3257, and the side of the car says "HOT ASPHALT."

Since afleetcommand mentioned that Sute-Cote has an asphalt plant, I'd say that's where they were going.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

afleetcommand
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by afleetcommand »

Here is a few more pictures and they are going the same place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIefofsvUPY