Railfaning The South

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Railfaning The South

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

We've been planning a bit of a vacation down to Kentucky Tennessee and Georgia for mainly sight seeing, and of course some Railfaning would anyone know some good spots? I've sorta got my eye on the CSX KD Sub the NS Atlanta District and Chattanooga
I'm here

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfaning The South

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

My limited knowledge and experience:

In Kentucky, just south of Walton there is a CSX line that crosses over I-75 on a high bridge. This same track street runs down the middle of Main St in La Grange. Traffic density on this line is low to where one must first have an idea of when trains run to have luck in seeing a train.

Nashville, Tennessee

There is a busy CSX mainline that passes through Downtown. Trains can be seen crossing the river from the riverfront. Most trains will turn south or east depending on direction. In the Gulch neighborhood, the old Nashville Union Station sits restored and there are multiple overpasses along the tracks and a yard. Crew changes are frequent here as well. The Music City Star commuter train runs from the depot along the riverfront to Lebanon with an F40 and 2 passenger cars. The trains run Monday thru Friday and layover in Lebanon. Pictures of the train along the riverfront with the Nashville skyline can be easily taken.

ImageCSX Coal Train - former Nashville Union Station by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Columbus, Georgia has street running. No further details....

Atlanta, Georgia

Inman Yard on NS seems to be the busiest yard in Atlanta. There is a TOFC ramp. There are multiple overpasses and is easily viewable / photo opportunities.

ImageNS Inman Yard - Atlanta, GA by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageNS Inman Yard - Atlanta GA by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CSX Tilford Yard is adjacent to Inman Yard. Much of the yard has been removed but does not appear to be dead.

ImageCSX Tilford Yard - Atlanta, GA by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCSX 1942 - Atlanta, GA by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CSX Hulsey Yard is an Intermodal yard on the east side of town. The track uses the same right of way as the Marta line which travels adjacent or above the CSX trackage. Trains can be viewed from almost any Marta station on this line.

ImageCSX Hulsey Yard & Marta Train - Atlanta, GA by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Was thinking of going to Inman. Thanks!!
I'm here

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Dalton, GA is a good "Hotspot" both NS and CSX cross on a diamond. Several good viewing spots available Been there a few times, never disappointed.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I'll second Nashville. There's a busy CSX mainline, Music City Star commuter train, NC&StL 576 steam locomotive, Tennessee Central Railway Museum, and a beautiful depot. The city of Nashville has something for every member of the family (especially if some members like country music).

Do not take photos or video on the platforms of the Music City Star; the transit police do not like this. I was lucky enough to be approached by a really nice officer who actually pointed me to a better spot to take photos.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

On the way down to the south La Grange KY is worth a stop if you like street running. There is normally a train or two mid day, but apparently most of the fleet is evening trains.

Drone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQCdP3znZI&t=6s

Chasing Car (same train, ground shot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwZ0K6qCaA&t=18s
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Nashville does sound interesting. Anyone know any scenic spots for photos mainly along the KD Sub?
I'm here

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

There is a CSX Line ex. L&N that parallels I-65 between Louisville and Bowling Green, Kentucky that passes above the highway through the mountains that would be a very scenic sight.