Midland Railfanning

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Midland Railfanning

Unread post by NS3322 »

Anything to see in Midland? Or will the Dow Chemical police chase me away?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Midland Railfanning

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Very tough to railfan in Midland for the reason you mentioned: Dow has very tight and vigilant security. I lived in Midland for 4 years and only saw a moving train twice. Both HESR and LSRC run to Midland under the cover of darkness. Your best bet is when the days are longer is to camp out just east of Midland on the Lake State. They'll often leave Dow around 6 am and you'll have decent light for the chase back to Saginaw.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote: I lived in Midland for 4 years and only saw a moving train twice.
That statement says a lot. Thank you for all of the information!
So it would not be wise to try to find the plant switcher (is there more than one?) for Dow?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NS3322 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote: I lived in Midland for 4 years and only saw a moving train twice.
That statement says a lot. Thank you for all of the information!
So it would not be wise to try to find the plant switcher (is there more than one?) for Dow?
They have lots of plant switchers, but unless they're crossing one of the public roads, they're almost impossible to photograph. You will be approached almost instantly if you park on the roads that intersect Dow. HESR might also be possible to see in the daylight in the evening leaving Bay City, as they head to Midland earlier than LSRC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

The most rail action I have ever seen at Dow was from the first base concourse of Dow Diamond before a Great Lakes Loons game. My daughter was at the play structure and I watched them do some switching in the northwest corner of the plant. I should have climbed the play structure for a better view. :D