Locomotive Piston Identification

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Locomotive Piston Identification

Unread post by NS3322 »

I have a piston from a Grand Trunk diesel locomotive. Is there any way to identify what model of locomotive it came off of?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Locomotive Piston Identification

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Get a diameter and you'll have the engine model, but probably not the locomotive model since the same piston sizes were used in multiple engine configurations for numerous different locomotive models.

Piston dimensions are available all over the web via a Google search.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Better yet post a good picture. The right guy can identify by sight. We had a mystery piston in the basement at SMRS been there for years. We had a mechanic in to do some heavy work on a locomotive. We were looking for some parts and he sees the piston and says "What's that EMD 567 piston doing here, you guys don't have anything like that."
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Whoops, I guess I completely forget about this thread. Gosh, time flies!

Here are some photos for those who are interested. Using the ID on the inside of the piston (UN8459702), I determined this piston belonged to an EMD 645 diesel engine (specifically a 645E3). So this could have belonged to a GP40 or and SD40 (if I am correct?).

I found the piston listed on the National Railway Equipment website:
https://www.nre.com/parts/nre-parts-catalog?page=27

I did not paint or decorate the piston. I am assuming someone at the GTW Yard/Shops in Battle Creek did that. It supposedly sat on display in the Calhoun County Tech Center for years, until it was unwanted and given to someone else. Which is who I believe I acquired it from.
Attachments
rr.JPG
e.JPG
gtw2.JPG

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

On the GTW, the only locomotives that had 645E3s were GP40s, SD40s, GP40-2s and SD40-2s, so that would be correct. All of the GP40s and GP40-2s were ex DT&I units, for what it's worth.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/