CSX Planning Crete, IL Intermodal Facility...NS to follow?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX Planning Crete, IL Intermodal Facility...NS to follow?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

So I read this article today,
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... crete-yard
Trains Magazine wrote:CHICAGO — The perennial problem of train and truck congestion in the Chicago region might have a major new safety valve if plans proceed for a new CSX Transportation intermodal ramp in the region. CSX is planning for a new ramp outside of the village of Crete, 33 miles south of Chicago, astride the jointly operated Union Pacific/CSX main line.

Although CSX has not confirmed specific plans for the site, the railroad owns the property, which has been the focus of widely reported public forums, some of which have drawn opposition from nearby residents.
...and it goes on.

So my ponderance goes something like this: UP has their Global Logistics Parks at Rochelle and Joliet. BNSF has their Logistics Park at Joliet and their other main ramp at Willow Springs. With CSX now looking to join the club of carriers with expansive, out-of-the-way parks outside the city, I'm wondering if NS might be looking to join them in the near future?

As the article goes on to point out, NS is still operating out of their smaller, older facilities in the City of Chicago.

There does seem to be well-positioned land between Pinola and New Carlisle which is near I-80/90, close to the city, and still dominated by farm fields.

So might NS soon join the club of suburban intermodal ramps?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: CSX Planning Crete, IL Intermodal Facility...NS to follo

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Don't forget the North Baltimore, Ohio facility CSX built a few years ago.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Planning Crete, IL Intermodal Facility...NS to follo

Unread post by Typhoon »

I doubt it. The NS just spent a lot of money, and got a lot of bad press in Chicago for how the went about it, expanding their 47th st intermodal yard. Combine that with the fact that most of the major distribution centers are located south or west of the city, not in Northwest Indiana, makes the area you suggest less than ideal.