Cabooses on excursions

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Cabooses on excursions

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Why is it that GLC permits SRI to pull cabooses on their excursion trains yet a Class 1 will not? It's clearly not insurance in this case or else I feel that GLC wouldn't permit them either. Is it more of a safety issue or just the host's rules?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Cabooses on excursions

Unread post by Ypsi »

Used google. Got results. Still a discussion but its a result. Talks about cabooses on Amtrak and in excursions. However I would consider those two situations very similar as a freight line excursion would most likely meet Amtrak safety standards and have similar requirements for equipment AFAIK.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Google search: "why don't passenger excursions use cabooses"
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

aren't you a volunteer at SRI and that group works with GLC? Can't you ask the leaders of your group to see why cabooses are allowed and why class 1's might not?
One would think you'd know and could be informing regular railfans with this information.
I never got any time in last year because I never gave myself a chance to go down. I'm hoping to change that this year.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I suspect GLC vs Class 1's allowing cabooses is the choice of the excursion operator. The C&M hauls a caboose for either looks (which I don't get) or staging. There's is no real seating in the typical caboose. Plus, the view is non existent unless your standing on the rear platform (bad idea for the typical passenger). I believe SRI requires a host in each caboose to insure folks do what they should.