FEC loco w strange tank

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

FEC loco w strange tank

Unread post by hoborich »

Today I saw a couple FEC locos in Ft Lauderdale. The ES44s had a tank like car between them, in FEC colors and markings, like the one in this pic. Anyone know what the tank is and what it's for?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/600581/
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: FEC loco w strange tank

Unread post by AARR »

The tank carries liquefied natural gas. The engines on both sides may be converted to run on both LNG and diesel.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but I didn't think diesels would run on LNG. Needless to say, I left my camera home. I hate when that happens. Maybe I'll see those units again in the next few days. The FEC basically runs from Miami to Jacksonville and back. They actually went by fairly fast for the area. I'll try and get some loco numbers if I see them again.

OK, Googled it, and here it is. It is called an LNG tender. The only problem I see is that in the event of an accident, that LNG can go off like a huge bomb.
http://hhpinsight.com/rail/2016/06/flor ... -runs-lng/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A recent Trains Magazine had an article about the Class 1 railroads experimenting with LNG engines and tenders. FEC is the only regional / short line (that I can recall) trying it out.

They're connecting the tanks next to the engines (rather than using buffers) so I would think there are safety precautions in place to prevent the tank from exploding.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

NO different then the thousands of flammable gas tanker cars on the system already. What little is in the pipes would burn off quickly and fail safe valves that crap off supply when the flow reaches over a certain amount are easily obtainable from many sources. That technology is basically what controls emergency brake applications on train brakes.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

According to the article, they do have valves that close if the hoses are breeched. But in the event of a collision, with an accordian type derailment, that ruptures the main tank, it would be a devastating explosion and fire. The article also mentioned that the tender is designed to serve two locos back to back, with the tender in the middle. The would necessitate two buffer cars, one between each loco and the tender. The two locos I saw Wednesday in Ft Lauderdale were back to back, with the tender in between the two locos. It looked much like the cylindrical propane highway tankers mounted in a well car, with a lot of piping on each end. As I mentioned, a buffer car would be required on each end of the LNG tender, since it is being used between two locos, and the additional piping through the buffer cars to the locos would probably create additional risk. I believe this lashup is being run in regular service now on the FEC, and I will try to get some photos when I can. There are a couple road trains that run daily through Ft Lauderdale between 11am and 3 pm, and I can probably see that lashup again. I'll make sure to take the camera with me next time. :lol: