72 hour outage.

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

72 hour outage.

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Well the NS has planned a Holiday outage of 72 hours. So much for railfanning ! 3:00 pm today until 7:00 pm the 27th.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: 72 hour outage.

Unread post by justin_gram »

Dec 21, 2016

Due to recent winter weather affecting the Norfolk Southern system, the holiday operations plan is revised as follows:

Saturday, December 24th: NS road, local and yard operations will cease at 3:00pm. NS will not accept interchange trains after 7:00am.
Sunday, December 25th: Interchange, road, local and yard operations idled.
Monday, December 26th: Limited road and interchange operations. Yard and local operations remain idled.
Tuesday, December 27th: Normal operation schedules resume at 7:00am.

Customers with critical service needs for either holiday should contact their respective OSS, Automotive, Intermodal or Unit Train Representative.

Operations and Service Support at 800-898-4296
Automotive Operations at 888-649-9273
Intermodal Operations at 800-497-2919
Unit Train Services at 404-979-5241

The latest ETA and routing information is always available through Pacesetter and accessNS.
http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... edule.html

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

I remember when the railroads didn't stop for anything (except big wrecks and severe weather "floods, deep snow, etc" ) and leaving crews in hotels during the holidays. When did the railroads start caring about the employees vs servicing the customers ?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

In general even in the freight gets there I won't be moved until after Christmas anyway. This makes sense in my mind, and helps create a more positive atmosphere for employees during the holidays. Wasn't it last year during the shut down CP ran like a 242 or something across the Chicago line then Wabash and it was the only train?
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

M.D.Bentley wrote:When did the railroads start caring about the employees vs servicing the customers ?
The railroads don't care about either.
Bottom text.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:When did the railroads start caring about the employees vs servicing the customers ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

When did the railroads start caring about the employees vs servicing the customers ?
When it got expensive! I used to get double time and a half on Christmas, just to go in, get a yard check, make a couple switch lists for the crews and leave. An hour at most! And the crews would just come in and set up the Ford plant and the auto docks and then leave too.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

hoborich wrote:
When did the railroads start caring about the employees vs servicing the customers ?
When it got expensive! I used to get double time and a half on Christmas, just to go in, get a yard check, make a couple switch lists for the crews and leave. An hour at most! And the crews would just come in and set up the Ford plant and the auto docks and then leave too.
That is a very good point I would have not thought of! Paying no one on Christmas when not much of the stuff gets loaded or unloaded anyway makes way more sense then paying everyone like they are 2 people for the same results :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Crew availability would cause network congestion issues. Better for terminals and customers to do a planned shut down then let trains clog up somewhere along the line.

Even then, crews started dropping like flies on Friday. I feel bad for all the guys who had to deal with family medical problems all weekend on their FMLA leave. Such a sad time to be dealing with sick family. Also a shout out to the Union guys off Union business over the holiday. That's dedication to the job to give up family time on Christmas to deal with Union issues.

Road crews don't get holiday pay. Yard and local crews would, but no extra compensation for road crews. I guess it never occurred to the Union negotiators to try and get holiday pay for road crews.
Y@ wrote:
I see your brief stint on the rails was just long enough to make you jaded.