How Many Coal Trains?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

How Many Coal Trains?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was thinking about some of the power plants and their respective trains here in Michigan, and I got to wondering, how many trains a week (or day) do some of these plants get? I was particularly curious about DTE in Monroe, and DTE in St Clair. Looking at Google Maps, there are two coal trains, one loaded and one empty, on the track loop in Monroe. Does Monroe get a few trains a day into the plant? Also, St Clair, how many does that plant see? Just a couple a week?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: How Many Coal Trains?

Unread post by AARR »

Monroe receives 1-2 trains a day on average (at least they did).

St. Clair gets western coal by ship and eastern coal by rail. Average around two a week although they'll get a bunch over a short period of time then nothing for a while.
atrainguy60 wrote:I was thinking about some of the power plants and their respective trains here in Michigan, and I got to wondering, how many trains a week (or day) do some of these plants get? I was particularly curious about DTE in Monroe, and DTE in St Clair. Looking at Google Maps, there are two coal trains, one loaded and one empty, on the track loop in Monroe. Does Monroe get a few trains a day into the plant? Also, St Clair, how many does that plant see? Just a couple a week?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:Monroe receives 1-2 trains a day on average (at least they did).

St. Clair gets western coal by ship and eastern coal by rail. Average around two a week although they'll get a bunch over a short period of time then nothing for a while.
atrainguy60 wrote:I was thinking about some of the power plants and their respective trains here in Michigan, and I got to wondering, how many trains a week (or day) do some of these plants get? I was particularly curious about DTE in Monroe, and DTE in St Clair. Looking at Google Maps, there are two coal trains, one loaded and one empty, on the track loop in Monroe. Does Monroe get a few trains a day into the plant? Also, St Clair, how many does that plant see? Just a couple a week?
Wow, I guess Monroe is pretty busy. Thank you for answers!

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

AARR wrote:Monroe receives 1-2 trains a day on average (at least they did).

Coal has been pretty slow as far as shipped via rail up the Saginaw Sub. I know there is a big change in contracts which I'm not too familiar with yet, and that may have an affect. I believe CSX still has Consumer's Energy in Flint. The DTE Contract with CSX may have been abolished as of Jan 1, but I am not completely sure.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Consumers' Port Sheldon (West Olive) plant gets 7-10 loaded trains a week.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/