Railfanning over Christmas Break

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
cbtrower
Railroadfan...fan

Railfanning over Christmas Break

Unread post by cbtrower »

Hi, Im going railfanning over Christmas Break and my main goal is to get a lot of trains, and an HU. I was debating over Elkhart, Swanton, Vickers, or Marion. Any other location suggestions are welcome!
Thank You,
Chris

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Railfanning over Christmas Break

Unread post by ~Z~ »

One would think if you want a norfolk southern heritage unit, Elkhart is probably the wisest of that list. Check heritageunits.com before heading out for the day to see if any other location might make more sense.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Railfanning over Christmas Break

Unread post by Jochs »

Also watch the weather around Christmas....sometimes NW Indiana can get ugly if there's lake effect snow. Avoid driving on the Toll Road if there is heavy snow, as the curves around South Bend, and open areas around LaPorte tend to make the news every winter with nasty accidents.
Elkhart is a good spot, especially if trains get stopped at Hively while waiting to go into the yard. You can often get good shots of parked trains from the road that runs alongside the tracks that starts by the 7-11 at Hively.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1