Chessie System?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Chessie System?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Soooo, are there still any Chessie System painted engines existing somewhere? Even if they are just in storage on CSX or something? I seem to recall there is a Chessie painted engine out there somewhere not on CSX. I did find an old thread about this subject but the last post in it was from 2011. Anyways, just wondering if any have survived 30 years under CSX.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Chessie System?

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yup. South Branch Valley has a Chessie GP7, the B&O Museum has their GP40, OSR has a Chessie GP7 in Chessie Paint (6xxx series IIRC), and Hartwell had or has 1 or 2 down south.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

We hated those things. They looked like circus wagons! The only thing missing was calliope music. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I believe that OSR is in the process of repainting their Chessie Geep.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

SD80MAC wrote:I believe that OSR is in the process of repainting their Chessie Geep.
When I was in Salford last (in September) they said the Chessie Geep was the next one scheduled for paint so you are right on.
RR Pass Collector

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Well that's good to hear that there are a few left. I take it the South Branch Valley and the Hartwell both still run them on some trains?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yes. SBV runs theirs somewhat frequently from what I've heard. They also have a original B&O scheme one and a C&O scheme one too IIRC.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

TrainWatcher wrote:Yes. SBV runs theirs somewhat frequently from what I've heard. They also have a original B&O scheme one and a C&O scheme one too IIRC.
Sounds like a perfect rail fanning railroad. Thanks!

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Read my posts about an old Chessie SD18!!!! Word is that this loco went to Eastern Washington Gateway Railroad Co. now (9-2016) and will remain in "Chessie" paint!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chessie SD18 post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28467
Last edited by Robertrains on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

What happened to the Chessie engine that was parked in Wellsboro a few years back? I thought I had a photo of it but I can't find it right now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

J T wrote:What happened to the Chessie engine that was parked in Wellsboro a few years back? I thought I had a photo of it but I can't find it right now.

J T, read my post directly above yours! It is "Exactly about "Chessie" SD18 #7311!!!!"
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

That Chessie SD18 got sold to Everywhere West Locomotive Leasing and is now on the Blackwell Northern Gateway in South Haven, Kansas. It's currently out of service and undergoing a total rewiring of the low voltage system due to extensive electrical issues. I believe the current owners plan to keep the Chessie paint.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

MP73point4 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I believe that OSR is in the process of repainting their Chessie Geep.
When I was in Salford last (in September) they said the Chessie Geep was the next one scheduled for paint so you are right on.
175 was back in service last week (along with one of the BCOL M420W's) still in Chessie paint. The most recent ex-CP GP9u is currently still being painted

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore has a GP38, B&O 3802 (All American Diesel by Trains Magazine). They have it in running condition and used to move equipment around and sometimes pulls the excursions.
Western Maryland-The Fast Freight Line.