Detailed USA railroad map

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Detailed USA railroad map

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Might be useful to save this link. Detailed map of the USA raillines. Can zoom in on any particular line, see where each mile post is on any line, details on each railroad crossing, owner of the line, and subdivision name if it has one as well. Could be pretty handy when you are out somewhere, hear a train clearing some certain milepost and not sure where that milepost is in relation to you. Thanks to GAL over on michiganrailroads for linking this FRA Safety website:

http://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Detailed USA railroad map

Unread post by hoborich »

Great link. Saved it. Thanks.
What are all those six digit numbers on the maps?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Another thing that you might be interested in is the Railroad Crossing Locator app by the Federal Railroad Administration. Shows every crossing in the country, private and public. Shows every detail on file about any crossing, from milepost, to number of lights, and to all crash reports on file with the FRA.

Rail Crossing Locator by Federal Railroad Administration
https://appsto.re/us/ES3uM.i

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

hoborich wrote: What are all those six digit numbers on the maps?
My guess is FRA/DOT crossing numbers.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

~Z~ wrote:Might be useful to save this link. Detailed map of the USA raillines. Can zoom in on any particular line, see where each mile post is on any line, details on each railroad crossing, owner of the line, and subdivision name if it has one as well. Could be pretty handy when you are out somewhere, hear a train clearing some certain milepost and not sure where that milepost is in relation to you. Thanks to GAL over on michiganrailroads for linking this FRA Safety website:

http://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/
Just got around to looking at this - great map! Thanks for posting the link.
Owosso Steve

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I like how it has the "ghost mileposts" for the DT&I "old line" - a line that's been gone for almost 30 years :D

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Rail Crossing Locator Smart Phone App.

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

No kidding, there is a free application available for smart phone users called the Railroad Crossing Locator. A map of the United States, which you can zoom in and out with, will show you with a Yellow Railroad Crossing sign, the locations of virtually all public grade crossings. Tap on the individual crossing icon to identify the crossing. Tap on the tag which appears and you will get the following information: Crossing ID (the actual DOT ID #), Railroad, Street Name, Type (usually public), Quiet Zone (status of quiet zone Y or N), and the mile post of the rail line.

I have found some minor mistakes on this application. But hey, its free and most of it is accurate.