Siemens SC-44 first look

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Siemens SC-44 first look

Unread post by Ypsi »

Today, I got my first look at the Siemens SC-44 Tier 4 4400hp locomotive on order for Amtrak and MARC. The 4604 is apparently the demo unit heading for DC on Amtrak. I was fortunate to ride behind not only this unit, but Amtrak 145 today as well as 512 making for an impressive and very strange looking consist. This set caught the attention of a large number of fans on the way east as we rolled along, I got to film them arriving in Toledo before we boarded, and then a little more when we arrive at DC (that footage is for a future date). But here is my first look at the new passenger units (there are about 3 other videos on YouTube as of this posting form todays trip).

They seem to be interesting looking, and we should see about 25 in corridor service in the near future. What I know so far is they are B-B, 4400hp, Tier 4 units, with 8 ordered by MARC, and 25 by Amtrak. Apparently ILL service is getting a handful, and Michigan services are supposed to get similar units eventually (or at least that is what I have been told.. I have not personally been able to confirm this)

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Siemens SC-44 first look

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Here's your "confirmation". You seem to be a bit behind the times, eh? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29507&p=302087#p302050
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Saturnalia wrote:Here's your "confirmation". You seem to be a bit behind the times, eh? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29507&p=302087#p302050
After sleeping poorly in the coach seat I couldn't quite gather the info on Michigan, what I found had the ILL, MO and other states numbers. Thanks for the addition

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

With these being Amtrak's newest locomotives, we will finally see what the future is in terms of Amtrak's image. Will they be Phase Vb or a resurrection of Phase III and the continuation of "Amtrak America"?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing either. Phase III fit Amtrak well, but Phase Vb gives them a more streamlined look with the curves (IMO). I just hope that there is one scheme for Amtrak and not slightly different schemes for each state...that would be weird.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

NSSD70ACe wrote:With these being Amtrak's newest locomotives, we will finally see what the future is in terms of Amtrak's image. Will they be Phase Vb or a resurrection of Phase III and the continuation of "Amtrak America"?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing either. Phase III fit Amtrak well, but Phase Vb gives them a more streamlined look with the curves (IMO). I just hope that there is one scheme for Amtrak and not slightly different schemes for each state...that would be weird.
That blue paint scheme they're currently in is what the Chicago Corridor engines will be painted in. Supposedly the new Bi-Level corridor cars will be painted similarly. There are also units getting painted in a Cascades scheme, & AmCal. As far as I know, none are being painted into a 'standard' Amtrak phase.

Additionally these aren't technically Amtrak's newest locomotives. They were bough & will be owned by the states they operate in. So besides delivery you shouldn't see them on long distance trains, outside their assigned corridors.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

I believe this was "demonstrator" paint scheme. This unit is supposed to test on Amtrak and MARC from what I have read.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Ypsi wrote:I believe this was "demonstrator" paint scheme. This unit is supposed to test on Amtrak and MARC from what I have read.
The "Siemens" on the side will be removed, the main scheme will stay the same. You can see the different paint jobs that they'll be getting in this pdf (3rd-4th pages):
http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... update.pdf

peter

Edit: Somewhere there is a pdf floating around that has a much better render of an SC-44 in paint hauling Bi-level cars in paint; but I cannot find it online. I should have a copy at home & can upload it after work.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hmm....I assume that "Amtrak" is going to be on there somewhere in the blank space? Sure, they may be owned by the states but Amtrak is operating them...
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.