How do dispatchers talk so far away with train crews?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

How do dispatchers talk so far away with train crews?

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I can usually hear a RN dispatcher talking to crews, such as conductors, engineers, even crew changes riding in crew shuttle vans, but I can never hear the responses unless I'm within a 5 mile radius. If they are talking on their scanners, how could the RN dispatcher based out of Calumet City be able to hear the replies from teeny portable radios, even on their locomotive base radios which best coverage for us is 10-40 miles depending on conditions and location?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: How do dispatchers talk so far away with train crews?

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Trackside repeaters that are connected to the dispatcher by fiber optic lines. The railroads have bases along the right of way . By selecting a base near where a crew is working gives the dispatcher closer communications with them. The dispatcher can also be "Toned up" letting the dispatcher know which base is calling. Just a brief overview.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Trackside repeaters that are connected to the dispatcher by fiber optic lines. The railroads have bases along the right of way . By selecting a base near where a crew is working gives the dispatcher closer communications with them. The dispatcher can also be "Toned up" letting the dispatcher know which base is calling. Just a brief overview.
DANG! I was hoping you'd say they just gotta yell really loud. :mrgreen:
Norm

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I was just getting to that. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Based are generally every 20 or so miles. Like has been mentioned, the tone lights up a particular tower so the dispatcher knows where to call back to. They all broadcast the same channel, but only one tower will be broadcasting, which is why you unfortunately can't hear everything the dispatcher says - only the towers in range.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

And the none fancy railroads use company provided cell phones to contact the dispatchers. Fun fact, when you radio craps the bed and you cannot tone, if you key up your mic, and press the number on your company provided phone you can tone up dispatch.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e