Painted Bridge Database

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Painted Bridge Database

Unread post by MQT1223 »

After watching D900 last night, it occurred to me that there isn't really a source for bridges that have the paint of fallen flags in our general area, at least not one that I know of. Whether your in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan or any state that involves Railroadfan, I think we need to keep track of these bridges as they provide unique opportunities for us to capture photos, videos, or just plain watch modern trains colliding with a touch of the past. Some bridges no longer carry trains but carry on the spirit of the fallen flag.

If you know of a bridge with fallen flag paint, post it here. Include the fallen flag(s) that are on it, where it is and whether or not its still active or not and what the bridge crosses. Any additional notes can be added.

I'll start:

CSX GR Sub MP 16, bridge over the river. C&O paint plus PM bleeding through. Partially obscured by brush. Now used by CSX. Zeeland, Michigan
CSX Saginaw Sub, bridge over Saginaw St. Large PM signs, lettering visible best at certain times of the day. Now used by CSX. Grand Blanc, Michigan
CSX Plymouth Sub, bridge over M-37/Broodmoor Ave, C&O Donut Logo on one side with silver paint. Now used by CSX. Kentwood, Michigan
CSX Plymouth Sub, bridge over Patterson Ave, Unique Chessie System Cat Paint. Built by CSX in the 80's, still used by CSX. Kentwood, Michigan

I've seen others, but I can't remember their locations. Hopefully we can compile a pretty good list here once were all said and done.
Last edited by MQT1223 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Painted Bridge Database

Unread post by justin_gram »

The CSX overpass on U.S. 12 in New Buffalo has very faintly Chesapeake & Ohio painted across it, or something like that. You really have to pay good attention to notice it. It is best seen going eastbound on U.S. 12. Going westbound it is very faded.

Right to street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7998236 ... 312!8i6656
Attachments
Screenshot (191).png

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

justin_gram wrote:The CSX overpass on U.S. 12 in New Buffalo has very faintly Chesapeake & Ohio painted across it, or something like that. You really have to pay good attention to notice it. It is best seen going eastbound on U.S. 12. Going westbound it is very faded.

Right to street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7998236 ... 312!8i6656
Interesting. The grey was used as a base and they outlined the stencil with black paint. Nice one Justin.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

The csx bridge over us31 on the south side of holland still very clearly has the c&o for progress logo on it.

Michigan Shore's ex c&o bridge over seaway drive in Muskegon looks like it says "BETHLAHEM" very faintly, with one letter in between each vertical support. Can anybody who grew up in Muskegon confirm that is what it read?

Also, it seems like I saw a bridge near Whitmore Lake that still had an Ann Arbor RR logo on it.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

EWRice wrote:The csx bridge over us31 on the south side of holland still very clearly has the c&o for progress logo on it.

Michigan Shore's ex c&o bridge over seaway drive in Muskegon looks like it says "BETHLAHEM" very faintly, with one letter in between each vertical support. Can anybody who grew up in Muskegon confirm that is what it read?

Also, it seems like I saw a bridge near Whitmore Lake that still had an Ann Arbor RR logo on it.
Bethlehem as in Bethlehem Steel the producer of the steel and the fabricator of the girder and bridge components. The final coat of paint must have applied pretty thin LOL

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

At the risk of being picky, I'm gonna say it would be nice to name the town they're in too.

I think there is a Saginaw Street in every town in Michigan.
Norm

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The Bridge just outside of Waverly Yard in Holland on the Grand Rapids Sub has a very faint Chesapeake and Ohio that is still visible from Windmill Gardens on both sections.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The Bridge just outside of Waverly Yard in Holland on the Grand Rapids Sub has a very faint Chesapeake and Ohio that is still visible from Windmill Gardens on both sections.
You mean the bridge just south of the yard over the Macatawa River? Seems an odd place since it wouldn't have had much public exposure and that bridge is fairly close to the water level, but who knows.

On the subject of Holland - here's a photo of the donut on the US-31 overpass south of downtown. This shows the southbound side which is still easy to see and in pretty good shape. The northbound side is partially obscured by the MDOT height marker and is very faded and difficult to see.
Attachments
C&O For Progress in Holland
C&O For Progress in Holland

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
You mean the bridge just south of the yard over the Macatawa River? Seems an odd place since it wouldn't have had much public exposure and that bridge is fairly close to the water level, but who knows.

On the subject of Holland - here's a photo of the donut on the US-31 overpass south of downtown. This shows the southbound side which is still easy to see and in pretty good shape. The northbound side is partially obscured by the MDOT height marker and is very faded and difficult to see.
I saw this one recently. Its very nice.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Add C&O donuts at:
Beech Daly road under the CSX Detroit Sub, Redford, MI
On the Swing Bridge over the Manistee River in Manistee, MI
5 Mile Road/EN Hines Drive under the Saginaw Subdivision, Plymouth
6 Mile Road under the Saginaw Subdivision, Northville
Miller Road under CSX Detroit Subdivision in East Dearborn

And C&O nameplates spelled out:
former CSX over Cheboyganing Creek, alongside M-13 just south of Bay City, showing the former Pere Marquette/Chesapeake & Ohio nameplate
CSX crossing over Dort Highway in Grand Blanc, showing the former Pere Marquette/Chesapeake & Ohio nameplate
It's probably impossible to see, now, but "Pere Marquette" used to be spelled out over Southern Street in east Dearborn on the big truss bridge north of Rougemere.

Michigan Central nameplates:
Outer Drive under the former MC mainline in Dearborn, visible traveling north on Outer
Warren Avenue under the former Michigan Central on the west side of Detroit advertising "the Detroiter to New York"

PRR:
Keystone welded on the girder over Fort Street, visible when traveling northbound, just west of Delray Tower.

N&W:
Hamburger logos used to be on the bridge where US-23 crosses under in Milan, not sure if they are still there.

PC: PC Worms logo over I-94 on the east side of Detroit where the old Detroit Terminal passes over near the Packard Plant.

Soo Line:
Not sure if this one is still with us but there's a former Soo Line billboard over M-28 east of Marquette - this line is out of service though and I think a trail now.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Here's the Grand Blanc one on the Saginaw Sub:

And the Saginaw Sub over 5 Mile near Plymouth with the simple donut:

And the MC over Warren Avenue in Detroit:
MC Warren Bridge Detroit 2007-01-27 MK.JPG

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The SOO plates are still up on the bridge over M28 in Marquette - looks like they got restored when they worked on the trail.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

i995impalass wrote:GT Logo M-21 Pewamo

Chessie in Kentwood

Old LS&I Grade Au-Train

Grand Trunk RY- Grand Rapids

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/@42.835744, ... 1e1!3m4!1s
6g1KW5CLsVIPJtiWXKvLWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656]"Chesapeake" Hudsonville[/url]
The LS&I is a new one. The others have been mentioned. Sadly, the GT bridge in Pewamo over M-21 has been painted and no longer has its logo.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Thanks to the "Where is it" thread, we can add another. "Grand Trunk Western Railroad" bridge over 24th St/Ave in Port Huron on the CN Flint Sub.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

GTW Auburn Road, Pontiac
https://goo.gl/maps/hrUmc1KaJhE2

GTW Normandy Road, Royal Oak (both sides)
https://goo.gl/maps/f4aiguqaxuw

Actually just about every bridge on the Holly Sub between Bloomfield and Royal Oak

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The GT Bridge over 696 in Royal Oak still dawns GT signs on it.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

So does the sign off I-96 in Detroit but neither is actually painted on the bridge, just a separate sign
https://goo.gl/maps/tGPCbCmE2Gu

Anyone know why many of the newer reconstructed bridges don't have any signage?
It seems odd for example that CSX spends money on the grade separation at Sheldon Rd in Plymouth but doesn't have their logo on the bridge.

MQT1223 wrote:The GT Bridge over 696 in Royal Oak still dawns GT signs on it.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

GT 16th street, Detroit
https://goo.gl/maps/KHZuujH5AQ62

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

GP30M4216 wrote: Michigan Central nameplates:
Outer Drive under the former MC mainline in Dearborn, visible traveling north on Outer
Warren Avenue under the former Michigan Central on the west side of Detroit advertising "the Detroiter to New York"
In Dearborn also, at the Jct. Yard Secondary bridge over Rotunda, there are NYC oval logos visible at either end of the bridge near the abutments.