Different take on Streaming scanner

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Different take on Streaming scanner

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

AMTK55 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:migrated the feed pi's and the atcs server to a new network location (on the back end, links in the OP are still legit). note to anyone who is using the atcs, download a new zip file for the updated server address and updated block mnemonics. The shortline scanner should be back online soon as well to after having to take it off site for some config work.
What config work was done on the shortline feed?
I had to migrate IP address to a new location. When I did this I entered an error in the /etc/network/interfaces file which caused it to be on dhcp and not get an address to function.

I was able to correct this at home, and as soon as I can make it back to the hill I'll reinstall it.

amtrak1007

Added an EOT scanner today at atcs.nerdcastle.info:4810 Connections from either atcs or softEOT will connect to it.

amtrak1007

After the weekend storms, tower site is having utility power issues. The radio feeds are easy to reboot remotely, however the atcs computer will need to be physically rebooted every time the power cycles. I hope to keep uptime as high as possible, however I will be out of town tonight and unable to attend to issues before monday if any more would arise.

amtrak1007

CSX West Michigan and Lake Shore Dispatch feeds going off line sporadically tonight. Changing Raspberry Pi cases and labeling!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

amtrak1007 wrote:CSX West Michigan and Lake Shore Dispatch feeds going off line sporadically tonight. Changing Raspberry Pi cases and labeling!
That explains my outage notifications. Thx for the work you do!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

amtrak1007

Looks like earlier this month the BCP at holland that used to control the East Wye and North Wye control points was taken off line. FWIW those control points were converted to satellite during the Grand Rapids Sub signal upgrade a few years back. Rumor has it that the ATCS on this end of the plymouth sub will be going satellite when PTC is installed, or they make their way west from plymouth. Unsure of the timetable on those upgrades.

amtrak1007

Got two of the three feeds back online last night. Need to find another spare cell charger, and the third one will be back on line. Depending on funding and availability of gear, I'm looking at adding a CN feed as well from the same tower.

amtrak1007

Shortline audio feed is back online as of 12:15 EDT today. Currently the only feed that is down is the EOT feed, new RF cable has been ordered, and will be here next week.

Sometime in August, the feeds will be going off line again for a weekend so that I may reorganize the equipment rack in which they are stored to be a more efficient use of space and cables etc.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scanner audio in the CSX West Michigan road channel get turned down? Seems quiet even at full volume on this end.
Webmaster

amtrak1007

~Z~ wrote:Scanner audio in the CSX West Michigan road channel get turned down? Seems quiet even at full volume on this end.
we are now sitting behind a 7.5 db loss due to an RF filter. Lemme see if I cant turn up the audio tonight when I get home. Z are you able to give it a listen tomorrow?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

amtrak1007 wrote:we are now sitting behind a 7.5 db loss due to an RF filter. Lemme see if I cant turn up the audio tonight when I get home. Z are you able to give it a listen tomorrow?
Yes, just notify me you "Turn it up, Bring the Noise!" and I'll have a listen.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kl1hgXfX5-U
Webmaster

amtrak1007

audio bumped up a bit on the 0808 scanner...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

amtrak1007 wrote:audio bumped up a bit on the 0808 scanner...
Still seems overall quiet compared to before. Can at least understand it for the most part with headphones in at my PC, can't understand at all over bluetooth speaker while biking anymore though.
Switched over to Lake Shore dispatch to hear an EC1 just now, and that sounds even quieter. q326 more quiet on that than they were on channel 8.
Webmaster

amtrak1007

I have the input cards maxed as far as gain on the incoming audio, let me know if this gets us to a working solution or if a trip to the hill is in order to work this out further.

amtrak1007

I'm going to try to make it down to the receiver site tonight to adjust physical settings on the radios to manipulate the volume of the feeds. Also starting to get a parts list for a CN Feed. Any donations to increase the speed of the equipment would be appreciated, but not mandatory for this to happen.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Any thoughts about getting ATCS working to monitor CN between Potterville and Battle Creek that could help the gap in the ATCS view for CN?
viewtopic.php?t=35296
Webmaster

amtrak1007

~Z~ wrote:Any thoughts about getting ATCS working to monitor CN between Potterville and Battle Creek that could help the gap in the ATCS view for CN?
viewtopic.php?t=35296

That's part of the plan. That radio is a bit more expensive. Looking or a Microwave Data Systems 2310 which are about $75/ea would need 2, but I've been working with the ATCS territory custodian Andy M to if it works out my site a feed to his aggregator and fill in that nasty gap.

amtrak1007

Hey ya'll just updated the layout and mcp file in the yahoo groups for the snow melters... K41... Update is live on the internets. ENJOY.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where abouts are these updated files? I searched in the ATCS directories, and not seeing anything past the 170423 - CSX WM file. Searched for CSX WM as well and not finding any updates. See attached screen shot.
Attachments
ATCS Yahoo
ATCS Yahoo
Webmaster

amtrak1007

yahoo is being a punk and not letting me upload. I didn't catch the error until after I had posted here and the ATCS fb group.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yvi5q749sqdq ... M.zip?dl=0 location for the moment.